Apple Fritter

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BoracayB

Senior Cook
Finally....Been wanting to make these for a long time.

Attachments

• IMG_0111.jpg
    IMG_0111.jpg
    91.8 KB · Views: 346
They certainly do! I can only imagine how good they taste

Sent from my XT1080 using Discuss Cooking mobile app

Those look fabulous....and that glaze...:ohmy::yum: I haven't had apple fritters in so long, my dad used to make them for us way back in the day.

Do you have a recipe you'd care to share, boracay? :)

I combined 3 different recipes I found on the net to get what I used.

For the apple filling:
2 1/2 pounds (about 5 whole) Granny Smith apples
3 tablespoons unsalted butter
2 teaspoons cinnamon
4 tablespoons apple cider vinegar

For the dough: (this was a doughnut recipe)

• 2 3/4 cups bread flour, plus more for dusting
  • 1 packet (2 1/4 teaspoons) instant yeast
  • 3 tablespoons granulated sugar
  • 1/2 teaspoon fine sea salt
  • 1 cup whole milk, warmed to 105°F to 115°F
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
  • 3 large egg yolks
  • 4 tablespoons (1/2 stick) unsalted butter, at room temperature

For the glaze:
1 1/2 cups powdered sugar
3 to 4 tablespoons milk
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

The recipe called for combining the yeast and everything else but I have never had any luck doing yeast that way so I warmed the milk to 105* and proofed the yeast. Plus no mixer here. :)

Make the dough: Whisk together the yeast, 3 cups of the flour, sugar, salt and cinnamon in the bowl of a stand mixer. With a dough hook and the mixer on low speed, mix in the milk followed by the eggs. Continue mixing until the dough gathers into a ball around dough hook, 2 to 4 minutes.
Continue mixing the dough, and add in the butter one tablespoon at time. Allow each tablespoon of butter to combine into the dough before adding another. If dough starts to fall away from the dough hook, add the remaining 1/4 cup of flour 1 tablespoon at a time until dough comes back together before adding in next butter piece.
Transfer the dough to a lightly oiled bowl, turn to coat and cover with a clean kitchen towel. Let the dough rise in a warm spot until doubled in size, 1 to 2 hours.

While the dough was rising I made the apple filling. Never understood the putting cut apples in ice and lemon water to prevent browning. When they cook with cinnamon they turn brown..so I don't bother with the ice water.

Prep the apples: Core, peel and chop apples into small pieces. Submerge them in ice cold water with 2 teaspoons of lemon juice to prevent them from browning. Push the apples down and place a piece of parchment paper on top so the apples don't bob above the surface of the water.
Make the apple filling while the dough rises: Heat the butter for the filling in a skillet over medium-high heat until butter turns brown and smells nutty. Drain the apples and add them to the pan with the butter. Sprinkle with sugar and cinnamon, and cook until tender. Add in vinegar and cook until liquid is reduced by half. Set aside to cool.

Assemble the fritters: Turn the dough out onto a floured surface. Using a rolling pin, roll the dough into a 1/2-inch thick rectangle. Starting from the end closest to your body, scatter 3/4 of the apples over the surface of the dough then roll it up in a long tube.
Now rotate the tube of dough so that it's perpendicular to your body. Flatten the tube slightly, then scatter the remaining apples over the surface. Roll up the tube like a snail's shell — the finished dough will look like a large ball.
Using a rolling pin, roll out the apple-filled dough ball to a 1/2-thick rectangle. Some apples may pop out — don't worry if they do, just set them aside and pop them back in where you can. Use a bench scraper to cut the dough into 2 1/2-inch squares to make 12 fritters. Use your hand to and pull the four corners of each square towards the center. Again, don't worry about any apples falling out or if they are exposed. Pinch dough together if necessary to create a rough circle.
Place the shaped fritters on a parchment-lined baking sheet and loosely cover with plastic wrap. Let rise for about 30 minutes or until the fritters puff and almost double in size

Deep fry the fritters: Heat 6 to 7 inches of oil to 360°F a large Dutch oven. Meanwhile, line a wire rack with paper towels.
Carefully lower 3 to 4 fritters into the hot oil. Fritters will float and not sink. Fry on one side for 30 to 60 seconds or until golden brown, then flip the fritter and fry the other side for 30 to 60 seconds until golden brown. Remove fritter with a spider or slotted spoon, and drain on prepared wire rack. Repeat with the remaining fritters. (Between batches, make sure the oil temperature returns to 360°F and remove any floating pieces of dough or apples.)
Let fritters cool slightly, then brush the glaze on top. Serve immediately.

About 1 minute after they come out I drizzled the glaze in all the nooks and crannies and the 2 minutes later another drizzle.

For me these were really time consuming. I have a small stove and my pot for frying is only big enough to do 1 at a time. Also took a while to maintain 360*.

I cut out 9 fritters from the dough and 1 problem with only doing 1 at a time was the ones waiting got flat spots on the bottom as they continued to rise. The last 5 I did had to be reshaped before frying...no big deal really.

Back
Top Bottom