Apple Beef Jerky

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

wittdog

Master Chef
Apple Beef Jerky
1 TBLS Salt
1 TBLS Honey
2 tsp White Pepper
1 tsp Garlic Powder
1 tsp Onion Powder
½ tsp Insta Cure
½ tsp Cayenne
½ tsp Coriander
½ tsp Phillips seafood seasoning
½ tsp chili powder
2TBLS Worcestershire sauce
1 TBLS Soy
¾ Cup Apple Juice
2 Cups Cold Water

Combine all ing….mixing well and pour over cut meat and let sit overnight…

This recipe is based on the jerky recipe in Mastering the Craft of Smoking Food by Warren R Anderson…I was intrigued by the Apple Juice and then played with some of the other ing…to what I like. It smelled good mixing it up…

I've been playing with this recipe and have come up with this revision I like much better...
5 pounds Lean beef sliced with the grain
5 tablespoons McCromick Seasoned Salt
1 tablespoon granulated garlic
1 tablespoon granulated onion
1 tablespoon black pepper
1 tablespoon chili powder
1 tablespoon Essence of Emril or Cajun Seasoning
1 teaspoon insta cure 1
1 teaspoon white pepper
1 teaspoon chipotle pepper
1 pinch crushed red pepper flakes
2 tablespoons honey
4 cups Cold Water
3 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
2 tablespoons soy sauce
1 1/2 cups apple juice

Intsa cure1....most recipes call for #1.....#2 is typically used for the dry cured stuff like roni and some salami and procitto (sp)..#2 works like a time realse cold medicine...

jerky

Didn't have time today to do it I'm going to do it tomarrow..there will be pics but I'm working tomarrow night so you might have to wait till Sunday morning....for the pics

Most of the jerky is done, some of the thicker pieces need more time the thinner pieces took 6 hrs and I used one pan of hickory saw dust…I don‘t think I would use more than that…overall I’m really happy with the way the jerky came out and how it tastes…this was the first time I tried this recipe and for my taste in jerky it was very good.(I don’t care for a lot of the soy taste in jerky) The flavor and sweetness were right on it also wasn't to salty just the right amount IMHO …it was a tad bit spicy for the boys but not overly so…it wasn’t hot enough for me by any means.. next time I’ll do to batches and add more cayenne to my batch.. It must have been good….cuz as soon as I was pulling it off of the racks the boys were eating it…I think I’m going to have to make more….Soon.... I had some issues with hot spots in the lectric and I needed to rotate and move the racks around some....I might try hanging the jery next time or give it a whirl in the WSM

Couldn't really taste the apple...it carried over more in a slight sweetness and a little bit of a acidy kind of twang....I liked this recipe alot...again for my taste in jerky...it may be my go to recipe..

Jerky recipe looks great. Is Insta cure 1 the same kind of product as Morton Tender Quick? If so, how would measurement translate using Morton instead of the insta cure 1? Also, is your keyboard messed up our is it my monitor? Can't read a lot of your instructions due to the weird keystrokes.

The weird key stroke thing came about when they changed servers here. Tender Quick contains cure1 some cure2 and Salt and Sugar. If I was to use tenderquick I would probably use it and substitue the amount of Salt called for in the recipe. Then tweek it from there.

On second thought...the seasoned salt adds a lot of flavor to this recipe. I would use cure 1.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom