Appetizers for the Holiday Season

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kaneohegirlinaz

Wannabe TV Chef
Central/Northern AZ, gateway to The Grand Canyon
What are you thinking of doing?
teri chicken skewers.jpg
I made these for a Summer Bar-B-Que,
Teriyaki Chicken Skewers just couldn’t be easier.
(well it can, and I figured it out)

Take boneless-skinless Chicken thigh meat,
Cut into 1 ½ - 2 inch strips
Marinade overnight (8-12 hours) in
Your favorite bottled Teriyaki sauce
(or homemade, I went easy)
I used Mr. Yoshida’s ® Original Marinade & Cooking Sauce
Then, find some 6 inch (or cut the longer ones with kitchen shears)
Broil or grill the chicken strips; once cooked through,
Set aside on a plate, covered with tin foil until you’re party is about to start
Slice each strip into about 1 inch pieces
thread 3-4 chunks of chicken onto each skewer,
Arrange attractively on a platter and serve
(I made the mistake of trying to grill the meat on the skewers, they burned even though I soaked them in water)

Those apps will be gone in now time, be sure to make more than you think you should

DH and I are hosting a Christmas Open House later in the month,
And this is one dish that I will be making, it’s wonderful, simple, pretty and well received by your guests

Did a neat app this weekend. 8 oz Cream cheese softened, one small flat can crushed pineapple well drain and most of the water pressed out, 1/4 cup powdered sugar, as much toasted nuts as you want (i used pecans). Mix together. Put on celery sticks about 3 inches long. put back into the fridge for the cheese to harden back up.

I have my standard I make that always goes over well.

Purchase - block of cream cheese, bottle of cocktail sauce, 2 cans of baby or salad shrimp and Trisket crackers. large leaf lettuce for the plate.

Drain and rinse the shrimp- mix it with the cocktail sauce
put lettuce on plate for presentation then the cream cheese block in the middle- then pour the shrimp mixture over the cheese block and line the triskets around the plate - I just put a couple of cocktail knifes on the plate for serving

to take somewhere

First off I go to the Dollar store and Purchase a pretty plate so I don't have to worry about getting my plate back.

I make the shrimp mixture and put into a container - make up the plate with the lettuce and cheese . then when I get to where I am going I put the mixture on the cheese and put the crackers around.

very simple and is a hit every time.

I like to take a jar of CORA Pickled Hot Cherry Peppers, remove the tops of the peppers and remove the seeds with my thumb while rinsing the pepper under running water. I stuff them with my standard meatball mix, line them up in a Pyrex baking dish and bake them for about 35 minutes in a 350-375 degree oven. I put a little of the brine from the peppers in the bottom of the dish and cover them with aluminum foil for the first 20 minutes then remove the foil and bake an additional 15 minutes. If I have any leftovers I freeze them and toss them into the next pot of sauce.

The hardest part of this recipe is finding a jar of peppers that contains an equal amount of red and green peppers, believe me when I say I check every jar on the grocer's shelf! :ermm::ohmy::LOL:
00026662111489_full.jpg

We are invited to a holiday party and each couple will bring something. I am making muffaletta sandwiches, which I will cut into one or two bit pieces. She wants heavy hors ds because that will be our evening meal.

Lyndalou - I have done the Muffaletta only I cut up meat into little pcs add everything else add little olive oil oregano, basil, black pepper then put in into a large hollowed out round crusty bread and serve with french bread slices.
Here is how I do it. Big hit also at football partys

Kraft Italian 4 or 6 shredded cheese pkg
Cut up into small pieces:
Salami
Ham ( I often use a honey and a spicy ham)
Pepperoni ( I use the sandwich peperoni easier to cut up )
Chopped Black olives (amount to your liking)
chopped Green olives ( save juice) (amount to your liking)
chopped banana peppers ( I use a medium heat) ( save juice)
Tomatos seeded and chopped (depending on how much you like in there
red onion minced
green pepper chopped small
celery chopped small
add in :
2-3 tbl olive oil, or mayonnaise ( I add little mayo to make it little bit creamy couple of tablespoons
little juice from green olives and the peppers
black pepper , basil, oregano to taste or could use an Italian seasoning
All amount depends on how much you want to make and items you like more
for the above I general use 1/2 lb each meat, 1-2 tomatoes, 1 stalk celery, 1/2 of green pepper. and 1/2 of red onion
I use to use the giardiniera mixture but I made it this way one time as i didn't have it in stock and I like this better

Thanks LC. Mine is made with olive "salad" which I make from and old Frugal Gourmet recipe. I use salami, mortadella, prosciutto and fresh mozzarella. I use ciabatta bread cut in half lengthwise. I then dig out some of the soft insides of the bread (top and bottom) put some of the salad in the bottom, top with plenty of meat, then the mozzarella. Put the top half on , wrap tightly in aluminum foil then place on a sheet pan, top with another sheet pan, weigh it all down with heavy canned food. I leave it several hours or overnight, then slice and serve.

Ham and cheese sliders are a quick and easy, fairly substantial, party idea.

Look for a couple of packages of Martin's 24 party potato rolls. Split a full section of 12 in half, spread the base with a good quality mustard, cover with a layer of deli ham and a layer of your favorite cheese, place roll top in place, wrap in foil and refrigerate until party time. When you are ready to serve them peel back the foil and place on a cookie sheet in a hot oven until the rolls brown and the cheese melts, cut into 12 separate rolls and serve.

These mini rolls are also great for a variety of crock pot sliders. Things like kielbasa coins, Buffalo chicken chunks, meatballs, precooked breakfast sausage patties, pulled pork, etc... It is nice if you can have someone setting them up for your guests so they can just grab a couple and go.

Holy cow....some wonderful sounding appetizers here. I'm especially interested in Andy's olive salad with pita chips. Will be referring back to this thread as it gets closer to Christmas. Thanks, everyone! :chef:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom