ANZAC Biscuits

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bitser

Senior Cook
These originated during WW I when cooks in Australia and New Zealand wanted to send baked goods to the troops that would keep and also be somewhat healthy. I learned to make them when we lived in New Zealand, where everyone bakes them and hands them out on ANZAC Day, 25 April. It commemorates the landing of New Zealand and Australian soldiers - the Anzacs - on the Gallipoli Peninsula in 1915.

Xfkd83I.jpg

Crunchy ANZAC Biscuits

—1 c old-fashioned rolled oats

—1 c all-purpose flour

—3/4 c sugar (granulated or coarse)

—3/4 to 1 c shredded or flaked coconut, unsweetened. (If sweetened, reduce sugar.)

—1/2 tsp salt

—1/4 lb/8 Tb butter (if salted reduce salt).

—2 Tb golden syrup (or Karo corn syrup).

—2 tsp baking soda

—3 Tb boiling water

Method

1. Use three standard baking sheets covered with parchment, or (better) double-layer insulated baking sheets with a nonstick finish (no paper needed.

2. Preheat oven to 335°F. (For chewy cookies bake at 325°).

3. Combine dry ingredients and mix

4. Melt butter over low heat until it foams, then stir in the syrup.

5. In a large bowl, add the boiling water and mix in the baking soda.

6. While hot, stir in the melted butter and syrup mixture, which will foam up.

7. Stir in the dry ingredients until evenly moist.

8. With a spoon, place the dough in evenly spaced lumps on the baking sheets, at least 1-1/2 inches apart.

9. Flatten slightly with a fork.

10. Check at 15 minutes and rotate the baking sheets if necessary. Replace for 5 minutes or so. Chewy cookies will be slightly browned. For crunchy ones, bake until the bottoms are darker than the tops (but be careful—they burn quickly).

11. When well-browned, remove from oven and let stand on sheets for 10 minutes, then transfer to cooling racks.

The recipe is quite forgiving and the proportions can be adjusted to your taste. You can also add chopped nuts, dates, sultanas, sunflower seeds, or whatever you like.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom