Anyone knows a good pan?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Maxil12

Assistant Cook
Hey, so i got some cheapper pans just to start doing some cooking, pancakes etc... But now theyr a bit old and the pancakes are starting to get cold in the middle and burnt in the outside and i as told it could be of the pan. So anyway i needed some new pans. I search for some brands and i settle for the amercook terracott, but still wanted to know your opinions.

Now, if 100 people answer, you are likely to get 150 recommendations, so here is my mine, honed from many years experience in both home and professional cooking:

Cast iron. Get yourself 3 cast iron skillets: 8-inch, 10-inch and 12-inch to start. You can expand your collection as you develop more interest in cooking and a love for cast iron cooking.

Stainless. I have no idea what brands are available in Portugal, but what you want is a selection of different sized tri-ply pots and pans with lids. The Cuisinart Contour Stainless 13-Piece Cookware Set or something similar is a good starter set. Good quality at a reasonable price, and as with the cast iron you can build upon it as your experience and needs require because Cuisinart sells different cookware singly. You might want to make sure this cookware is induction capable, just in case there is an induction cook top in your future.

Non-Stick. What I do, and what I always advise others to do, is go to general merchandise store like Target and pick up a 3-pack of non-stick frying pans. The 3-pack sells for $18 to $20 USD. I use them until they get scratched or the non-stick wears out, then throw them in the recycle bin and buy another 3-pack.

Last edited:
Amercook seems to be a Spanish brand? I am completely unfamiliar with it, but they seem to have a good selection of attractive looking pans and types of pans. What type of pan is the "amercook terracott"? What material(s) is it made of?

Sir_Loin_of_Beef gave some good advice, even if I don't necessarily agree 100%

I have a Danish made non-stick frying pan that I really, really like. It isn't a throw away pan. I have had it for three years and it still works well. The brand is Scanpan.

I also agree with SLoB, except for the non-stick pan thing. I bought a Farberware non-stick pan at Walmart for $25 at least 15 years ago. It has no scratches and still works great. I don't store anything inside it and I use wood or silicone utensils with it.

While the others gave great advice, I would add a carbon steel wok to your assortment. Get a few good cooking tools, like silicone spatula, wooden stirring spoons, dry and wet measuring cups, and most importantly a goo chef's knife. There are many threads on DC that talk about knives. And when you research knives, don't skimp and purchase cheap ones. The knife will become your most important and most used tool. also, a fine mesh sieve, It can be used both as a strainer, and a flour sifter),and either a spider, or slotted spoon is nearly essential.

Pots don't do you any good if you can't work the food that's in them.:mrgreen:

Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom