Anyone have a recipe for great-tasting buffalo wings sauce ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Frank's Red Hot, butter and as much or little of cayenne/Tabasco as you like. Heat to melt the butter, stir and apply to wings.

Hi Paul.I'm looking to making some baked wings per Kenji soon and I would also need a mild sauce. To be "authentic" Frank's Hot Sauce is needed for Buffalo Wings. I found several recipes but taste being what it is, who knows how hot is too hot. One interesting thing I found is a "too hot" sauce can be made milder by the addition of Greek yogurt or sour cream. That idea would be great with two batches of sauce for those who prefer one or the other.

The addition of butter mellows the sauce. More butter-more mellow, less butter...

If you use the Frank's straight up with no additional heat, it's fairly mild (according to our taste).

A friend of mine worked his way throught the University of Buffalo working at the Anchor Bar, and he gave me Frank and Teresa Bellisimo's original recipe:

Original Anchor Bar Buffalo Wings
Ingredients:

2 dozen chicken wings, separated at the joints, tips reserved
¼ lb butter
1 cup Frank's Original Hot Sauce
2 Tbs white vinegar
2 Tbs granulated sugar
1 tsp cayenne pepper (increase or decrease to adjust temperature)
1 tsp chili powder (increase or decrease to adjust temperature)
1 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp onion salt

Instructions:
Preheat the oven to 250F.

Bake the wings in a 250F oven for 15 minutes, then deep fry in vegetable oil to the desired texture (soft or crispy).

Melt the butter in a medium sauce pan over low heat and add the hot sauce and vinegar. Stir in the sugar until it dissolves.

Whisk the cayenne pepper, chili powder, garlic powder and onion salt into the sauce until incorporated. Simmer the sauce, covered, over low heat for 20 minutes.

Pour the sauce into large sealable bowl, add the chicken wings, seal the bowl, and shake until wings are completely coated. (Wash the bowl immediately or settle for having an orange tinged bowl forever!)

Bleu Cheese Dip​
Ingredients:

1 cup mayonnaise
1 cup sour cream
juice of one lemon
2 cloves of garlic, pressed
5oz cup of Treasure Cave all natural bleu cheese crumbles

Instructions:

Combine the mayonnaise and sour cream, add the lemon juice and garlic and mix well. Add the bleu cheese crumbles and stir until combined. Serve chilled with celery and carrot sticks.

Please remember, the bleu cheese dressing is for dipping the celery and carrot sticks, NOT THE WINGS THEMSELVES! I am from Western New Yorkand I am old enough to remember life before hot wings. Trust me!

Last edited:
Many thanks for all your above comments. I'll definitely make a few changes to the sauce I used today, based on your suggestions -

If you haven't already do so, you may want to check out my just posted review of the crispy oven-baked chicken wings recipe which I tested out today.

BTW, I didn't have Frank's Red Hot sauce, so I used Louisiana hot sauce & cayenne.

Last edited:
I just do butter, Hot sauce and white vinegar all to taste.

Back
Top Bottom