Anyone have a good rib rub, preferably dry?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lisar

Cook
I am looking for a really good rib rub. I would like it to be a dry rub though. Anyone willing to share?

Here is my favorite.

pinch of salt
1 tsp fresh ground black pepper
1 tsp lemon pepper
1 tsp cayenne pepper
1 tsp chili powder
1 tsp dry mustard
1 tsp light brown sugar
1/2 tsp garlic powder
pinch of cinnamon

I LOVE this rub. I always have it on hand and use it on everything.

Here's a good one I've used for a long time. It's easy to adjust any ingredient to your taste. This is the way I like it.

4 parts paprika

2 parts each, next 6 ingredients
Salt
sugar
brown sugar
cumin (I halve the cumin)
chile powder
black pepper

1 part
cayenne pepper

Anyone willing to share?

:LOL::ROFLMAO::LOL:!! How can you tell if a BBQ'er is lying? Just ask him for his Sauce/rub recipe!!!

Seriously-GB's looks about right. Over the years I've noticed that the rubs are all very similar, just slight adjustments (to taste) of the basic ingredients.

And all the "big time" Q'ers have packaged versions of their "secret" rubs on the big box store shelves as well.

Or, just google BBQ rub-you'll find enough different variations to keep you busy for years!!

Little bit of sweet
Little bit of salt
Touch of smoky
and a nosh of heat
Stir well with savory
Can't be beat!

Baby Back Rib Dry Rub

8 tablespoons Brown sugar -- tightly packed
3 tablespoons Kosher salt
1 tablespoon chili powder
1/2 teaspoon Ground cumin
1/2 teaspoon Dried oregano
1/2 teaspoon Garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon Ground black pepper
1/2 teaspoon Cayenne pepper
1/2 teaspoon Jalapeno seasoning
1/2 teaspoon Old Bay Seasoning
1/2 teaspoon thyme -- rubbed between the fingers
1/2 teaspoon onion powder

This is a dry rub for baby back beef or pork ribs

I doubt mine would win any awards, but it is similar to GB's, I just add a little more brown sugar plus I use seasoning salt instead of plain salt and then add in some meat tenderizer. I never thought of using lemon pepper or cinnamon, though.

thanks everyone I will try them all. I am making ribs for about 20 people on Saturday and I wanted to try something besides regular BBQ sauce. Thanks again.

Whichever rub you end up with, make sure to put it on good and heavy about 24 hours before the ribs are to be cooked and wrap tight with plastic wrap.

:LOL::ROFLMAO::LOL:!! How can you tell if a BBQ'er is lying? Just ask him for his Sauce/rub recipe!!!

Seriously-GB's looks about right. Over the years I've noticed that the rubs are all very similar, just slight adjustments (to taste) of the basic ingredients.

And all the "big time" Q'ers have packaged versions of their "secret" rubs on the big box store shelves as well.

Or, just google BBQ rub-you'll find enough different variations to keep you busy for years!!

I add red curry powder, smoked paprika, & garam marsala to the basic rub. Adds lots of depth.

I gave this recipe to our local, Native American newspaper. They printed it. I have a cousin who contacted me, stating that she had some friends visiting from North Carolina, a place where they take the ribs very seriously. She reported to me that her guests stated that the ribs she gave them were the best they had ever eaten. Of course my head swelled 3 sizes that day. :LOL: I know my crew loves them. And of course, in the newspaper version, I use my real name. Here, I'll use my online moniker.

Chief Longwinds’ Smoky Spare Ribs
Ingredients:
2 racks pork spare ribs
3 tbs. salt
4 tbs. mild chili powder
1 cup dark brown sugar
1 tbs. granulated garlic powder
2 tbs. granulated onion powder
1 tbs. rubbed sage
Wood chunks/branches cut into 6-inch lengths, maple, hickory, mesquite, cherry, or tag-alder wood.

Combine the salt, chili powder, brown sugar, garlic, onion, and sage in a bowl and blend together until evenly mixed. Lay out the ribs (I use the St. Louis style ribs as they have move meat, and are cheaper as well) on a covered working surface. Remove the silver skin. Rub both sides of the ribs, massaging the seasoning mixture into the meat, and making sure that rub is applied under the meat flap. Place in a suitably sized plastic bag, and seal. Refrigerate overnight.

To cook, place the ribs into a large roasting pan, cover and place into a 200 degree oven for eight hours; or, place into and electric turkey roaster, set for 200 degrees, and let it hang out for eight hours or so. An hour before serving time, fire up the barbecue with divided banks of coals (one bank on one side, and another bank on the other), and let it heat up for 15 minutes. Place the wood on top of the charcoal, or wrap in heavy duty foil and put on the fire in a gas grill, and place the ribs on the grill, between the charcoal banks. Cover and reduce heat by either closing all vents by half on the charcoal grill, or at lowest setting on the gas grill. Let the ribs cook in the smoke for 45 minutes. Remove and serve with flavorful sides.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Here is one I stole from a TV chef. It is a staple in our house. You could add some sugar or brown sugar if you like for your particular dish.
I use this seasoning in addition to salt and pepper.

Spice Rub.

5 TBLS Paprika
4 TBLS Salt
4 TBLS Garlic Powder
2 TBLS Black Pepper
2 TBLS Onion Powder
2 TBLS Cayenne Pepper
2 TBLS Ground Oregano
2 TBLS Ground Thyme

Combine all ingredients thoroughly and store in an airtight container.

Here is one I stole from a TV chef. It is a staple in our house. You could add some sugar or brown sugar if you like for your particular dish.
I use this seasoning in addition to salt and pepper.

Spice Rub.

5 TBLS Paprika
4 TBLS Salt
4 TBLS Garlic Powder
2 TBLS Black Pepper
2 TBLS Onion Powder
2 TBLS Cayenne Pepper
2 TBLS Ground Oregano
2 TBLS Ground Thyme

Combine all ingredients thoroughly and store in an airtight container.

Oh yeh! That mixture would work so well for me, as I love savory foods. But it wouldn't work for DW at all, as ketchup is sometimes too spicy for her. She has a super-sensitive tongue. When I make country style ribs, where I can season them differently for the both of us, I use seasoning mixes much like the one you just posted. It makes very good pork.:chef:

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Back
Top Bottom