Any tips for making non-dairy ice cream?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

yk102

Assistant Cook
Hi,

I suffer from IBS and much of the culinary world has been restricted away from me. But I have figured out that this curse at least allows me to eat home-made things with certain simple ingredients.

Coconut cream is especially tolerable for some reason. Dairy is OUT the question!!!

So I made my own ice cream from coconut cream to little success. I added 400g cream (20% fat), two tablespoons of cocoa powder (the kind that mixes), two tablespoons of peanut butter (natural with no chemicals and added sugar) and 20g sugar. Then, I put it in the fridge, taking it out every 30 minutes to stir it to break up the crystals. It reached a nice soft-serve consistency this way that I really liked but after 24-hours... well... it turned rock solid. With huge ice crystals. Leaving it out for as long as 20 mins didn't help at all.

I actually tried to adapt the recipe from this video.

I think this is because coconut cream isn't emulsified? If I freeze the coconut cream container as is without stirring, the cream separates from the water and freezes solid. Dairy cream isn't like that at all.

Also... too much sugar gets me also. I did only about 5g per 100g so 5%. Still tastes good. But I'm not sure if that will inhibit its ability to keep well.

Not all chemicals get me either. I'm fine with lecithin if it's my only option. But the purer the better.

Ah and maybe other non-dairy creams can work so long as they aren't processed to hail and beyond.

Please help me out. Does anyone have a good known recipe that works for them? I can't actually experiment much due to budget restraint and the fact that eating too much fat can get me as well (I don't really want to waste food). I can really have this every once in a while. So something well-known would help to get it right next time :)

Thanks...

taxlady...got it, lol, thanks for remembering.
I just made some nice-cream last week, ours were blueberry and peach flavors.
Freeze ripe bananas and other fruit, let thaw half way, put in a food processor, blend/whip, and eat (or freeze). I don't even eat bananas but I'll eat this!

I don't usually add any plant milk (rice, soy, coconut, almond) but that would be good too.

https://www.andianne.com/nice-cream-flavors/

Last edited:
I was re-reading your post yk102, you could try to cut back on the oil/fat, lowering your inflammation. There's a product, a defatted peanut butter called naked PB, for peanut butter flavor. Cocoa is so good for you with anti oxidants and it's not high fat either.

For a natural chocolate flavor, try out cocoa nibs. They are chocolatey and crunchy.

I also should have mentioned oatmilk, as another plant milk option.

While I was thinking about all this, I had to have some. So I nuked the 2.5 cup container of peach nice-cream, scooped out a couple scoops and then put some raspberry jam (made with honey), on it. We made the jam today and it's wonderful.

Thanks for the recipe, I will try it. It's summer here in Greece so they should ripen easily once I wrap them in a plastic bag and leave it out in the sun.

Bananas are fine with me, since they are the least acidic fruit I've had. Apples destroy me for example lol.

But I still stick to a limit when it comes to bananas since there is something in them that I can't take *too* much of. 2-3 Bananas a day appears to be the limit. So I'd still be on the lookout for coconut-cream ice cream.

There's a product, a defatted peanut butter called naked PB, for peanut butter flavor. Cocoa is so good for you with anti oxidants and it's not high fat either.

Hmmm... I looked it up and it is low. It looks quite processed though so I'll avoid it for the same reason I avoid commercial coconut ice cream. I can eat natural fats like from peanuts and olives as long as it's not more than 20g at a time.

100% cocoa is good in small amounts. It has a super high amount of fiber and protein so it's super healthy. I really have to stick to limits with the fiber though, it gets me. I tend to stick with 14-20g a day and I meet that threshold with wholegrains already lol.

Thanks again... I really appreciate your recipe.

Ive made similar to the above, and it really is amazing how creamy / ice cream- like consistency the bananas make this.

What's even more amazing is how her shirt remained white during the process. I'd be wearing half of that if I were me.

And that was some single serving :)

I ran across this, watermelon gelato this morning.
https://dreenaburton.com/2-ingredient-watermelon-gelato/

• 5 cups frozen cubed watermelon see note
  • 1 cup sliced overripe banana (frozen or room temp) see note
  • 1/2 – 1 tbsp coconut nectar or cassava syrup OPTIONAL (see note)
  • 1-2 tbsp raw cashew butter, OPTIONAL (see note)
I haven't tried it. I'll be keeping this in mind next time we get a watermelon. (we've had two this season so far, and they are so refreshing!)

Sorbet is generally fat, and dairy free, and yet is smooth, and creamy. Another great option is avacado, if you can eat them. They affect the flavor very little, while providing a silky smooth texture. Simply take 2 cup fulls of ice cubes, add 2 cups of frozen strawberries (or other berries) 1 perled avacado., pit removed, 2 tbs. sweetener of choice, and 1 cup ice water. Blend at gigh speed until smooth. Enjoy. Frozen bananas aded to this makes it even creamier.

Seeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

I dunno about avocado only affecting the flavour very little. I had homemade avocado ice cream that lots of people loved, but I hated it. The avocado flavour was quite strong. BTW, I usually like avocado.

I dunno about avocado only affecting the flavour very little. I had homemade avocado ice cream that lots of people loved, but I hated it. The avocado flavour was quite strong. BTW, I usually like avocado.

My friend from Brazil used to put avocados in her milkshake to make more creamy. I tried it, and the avocado flavor jumped right out. I didn't like it. My wife has also experimented with a way to substitute in avocados when making brownies, and the same thing. Could be aa mental hing, that I knew they were in there, but just wasnt for me.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom