Any good sesame chicken recipes (of a healthy variety)?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cooking4Fun

Senior Cook
I had restaurant style sesame chicken recently and it tasted good, but I worry the sauce had too much sugar and corn starch to be terribly healthy. Any suggestions for a healthy version? I have some ginger root in the freezer I wouldn't mind incorporating so it gets used.

It's fried and sugar sugar sauced. Not really any healthy approach there. Just enjoy it in moderation.

Omit the ingredients that concern you or substitute ingredients that you are comfortable with.

Swap the sugar for a small amount of honey, maple syrup, or sugar substitute.

Here are some options for a thickener.

Good luck!

How authentic do you want it to be? Or is it more a case of wanting a tasty chicken dish with sesame that is sort of like that resto dish?Do you want it to be sweet?

I googled "healthy sesame chicken recipe" and found quite a few, but I didn't see any from any sites I know I can trust.

I agree with thymeless. Enjoy it occasionally for what it is. Most registered dieticians agree that it's more important to strive for a healthful overall diet than to be concerned about an individual dish. You can make the entire meal healthier by serving it with rice and stir-fried vegetables.

How authentic do you want it to be? Or is it more a case of wanting a tasty chicken dish with sesame that is sort of like that resto dish?Do you want it to be sweet?

I googled "healthy sesame chicken recipe" and found quite a few, but I didn't see any from any sites I know I can trust.
I just assume all Chinese restaurants are Americanized. I was wondering if there is a healthy version that is more authentic in the native country that can be eaten daily.

LOL, I don't think even the Chinese eat "sesame Chicken" every day. They like their 'forbidden' foods probably as much as we do! As said... enjoy it in moderation.

This is not anything like the restaurant sesame chicken, but is chicken with sesame flavor. Perhaps that will satisfy the craving for chicken and sesame.

I wouldn’t be substituting the sugar, but you can use half palm and half white sugar if you choose.
Palm sugar is a very essential ingredient in Asian cooking and this dish won’t be the same without it. As always, TASTE AS YOU GO and ensure your seasoning is adjusted accordingly.

Most of the ingredients in sesame chicken must be used in asian foods in general? I wouldn't necessarily eat it daily, but it's good to have an option once a week that isn't basically fast food.

Back
Top Bottom