Another sambar masala, with 3 dal, 3 vegetables, and barley

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pepperhead212

Executive Chef
I made a delicious, one pot sambar masala, with 3 vegetables - beans, okra, and eggplant - plus 3 dals, and some barley. I cooked an onion in some oil in the IP, then added 4 cloves of minced garlic, to cook briefly, then added a couple of large tomatoes, chopped up fine, and let cook down with some sambar masala powder. Then some toor dal, chana dal, and masoor dal were added - about 1¼ c total - and 2/3 c barley (I soaked all this about 2 hours, while getting beans and okra ready, and doing some other things), plus 6 c water. I added a little tamarind, then salted to taste, and put the lid on, and set it to pressure cook 12 min, then let the pressure release naturally.

After this, the thickness was a little thin, but it thickened more with the next cooking. I added the beans and okra, but it seemed like it wasn't enough for all the dal, so I cut up a small eggplant, and it seemed about right. I simmered that about 15 minutes, and prepared the tarka, for tempering, and stirred that in, with about 1/2 c cilantro.

That tarka, which can add a lot of heat, using the usual Thai type peppers, can be mild, using the Kashmiri peppers, clipped up. I did that because I knew I'd be sharing some of this with my friend, who loves these flavors, but has had problems with heat lately. I put a couple of fresh kanthari peppers in my dish, which more than made up for it!
Red and green beans and okra, to go into a type of Sambar Masala. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

The first part finished, started with onion, garlic, tomatoes, sambar masala powder, barley, and 3 dals, pressure cooked 14 minutes. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

Beans and okra not quite enough, so I cut up the smallest eggplant, and added that, to cook together by pepperhead212, on Flickr

Ingredients for the tarka at the end -mustard seeds, cumin seeds, Kashmiri chili, asafetida, and curry leaves. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

Finished tarka, ready to add to the sambar. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

Tarka, ready to stir in, followed by the cilantro. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

Finishing with a generous amount of cilantro. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

Finished sambar masala. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

I have to make another batch of that sambar masala powder, since I ran out now. And I have to trim that curry tree - there are a few other ones that use large numbers of leaves that I'll have to try.

Back
Top Bottom