An Experiment

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Andy M.

Certified Pretend Chef
We eat English muffins regularly but not frequently. I have been fascinated with them ever since I learned they aren't baked in the oven as conventional breads are.

I've had the desire to try making them so I ordered some muffin rings and sought out a recipe.

Today I bit the bullet and made my first batch of not really English english muffins. They look pretty good. I'll let you know how they taste.

I used my Cuisinart griddler in griddle mode to cook them. I had to cook them in two batches as I only had eight rings and the recipe makes 16. Also there is only room for eight at a time on the Griddler.

The recipe indicated an internal temperature of about 200ºF. If the outsides are browned and the internal temperature isn't up to snuff, pop them into the oven to finish.

Attachments

• IMG_1139.jpg
    IMG_1139.jpg
    97.9 KB · Views: 211
  • IMG_1141.jpg
    IMG_1141.jpg
    87.6 KB · Views: 183
Last edited:
They look good to me. :yum:

Experimentation is kinda/sorta what cooking is all about. ;)

And don't forget the butter. :D

We eat English muffins regularly but not frequently. I have been fascinated with them ever since I learned they aren't baked in the oven as conventional breads are.

I've had the desire to try making them so I ordered some muffin rings and sought out a recipe.

Today I bit the bullet and made my first batch of not really English english muffins. They look pretty good. I'll let you know how they taste.

I used my Cuisinart griddler in griddle mode to cook them. I had to cook them in two batches as I only had eight rings and the recipe makes 16. Also there is only room for eight at a time on the Griddler.

The recipe indicated an internal temperature of about 200ºF. If the outsides are browned and the internal temperature isn't up to snuff, pop them into the oven to finish.

I can see some Eggs Benedict for a "breakfast" meal! Those look fantastic Andy! Cut one open to see the nooks and crannies.:yum:

Mmm, those look good, Andy! I'd love to see them split, toasted, and melty butter in the nooks and crannies, too. :yum:

OMG... the things I am learning here!

I had absolutely no idea that english muffins were done on a griddle and not 'baked' per se.

If you don't use a mold do they hold their shape enough to look like traditional muffins?

I use them to make those 'Olive Melts' which I keep in the freezer, supposedly to serve guests but they usually end up being a 'movie snack' :rolleyes:

...If you don't use a mold do they hold their shape enough to look like traditional muffins?...

With the recipe I used, I suspect the finished product would be a shapeless blob without the rings. I took the rings off part way through the cooking.

I wonder if crumpet rings and english muffins rings are the same. I need more crumpets rings and if they can be used for English muffins, well all the better for me.

Before I bought rings, I used clean canned tuna cans with both ends cut out. Then the tuna packaging changed so that only one lid came off. I needed more rings and discovered the small cans that Asian vegetables come in are the same side and can be opened on both ends. Problem solved.

Not much of a problem as it turned out, one of Glenn's daughters gave me a second set of English muffin rings not long after Glenn and I were married. Now I have enough rings for an army.

Still hang on to the homemade ones because they can be used to "stage" some foods before serving.

OMG... the things I am learning here!

I had absolutely no idea that english muffins were done on a griddle and not 'baked' per se.

If you don't use a mold do they hold their shape enough to look like traditional muffins?

I use them to make those 'Olive Melts' which I keep in the freezer, supposedly to serve guests but they usually end up being a 'movie snack' :rolleyes:

What's an olive melt?

Looking good, I support eggs Benedict one of my favorites, though as Beloved Wife is Jewish and doesn't eat pork, I am always casting about for better and brighter alternatives to Canadian bacon.

Also come clotted heavy cream and jam work wonders, particularly if you toast them up under the broiler.

Cheers,

TBS

Looking good, I support eggs Benedict one of my favorites, though as Beloved Wife is Jewish and doesn't eat pork, I am always casting about for better and brighter alternatives to Canadian bacon.

Also come clotted heavy cream and jam work wonders, particularly if you toast them up under the broiler.

Cheers,

TBS

Try eggs benny with lox as a sub for the bacon. Or sub steamed baby spinach.

What's an olive melt?

Think these must come from the 50's era of cocktail parties, lol but I first had them just last year. Even people who confess they don't like olives seem to gobble these up.;):yum:

Olive Cheese Melts

1 cup ripe olives, chopped - I recommend canned and not deli (experience talking here - they were waaay too salty, but suit yourself)
1/3 cup scallions, chopped
1.5 cups old cheddar, grated (I go for almost 2 cups)
1/2 cup mayo
1/2 tsp curry powder
8 English Muffins, split

Mix first 5 ingredients together, spread on split Muffins, cut in 1/4's.
Place on cookie sheet. At this point you can either pop them in the freezer and then transfer to a bag or bake at 400 for 10 min.

I bag them 8 to a sandwich bag so as to take what I need. Cooking from frozen is about the same timing as fresh. You know your oven.

Many recipes you see on the internet call for 1/4 or 1/2 tsp salt... DON'T! olives and cheese are plenty salty enough.

Back
Top Bottom