Am I The Only one - Chili

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chief Longwind Of The North

Certified/Certifiable
My Mother, my Dad, my friends' parents, my friends, we all include celery in our chili con carne. I've posted my chili recipes on DC, and so won't post the here.

Just for grins, I did an online search for best chili recipes. I must have looked at 20+ recipes. Most used a seasoning mix, None of the added celery. I love he flavor that fresh celery adds to chili. So what about the rest of you. Do you add celery to your chili?

Seeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Nah, not really.
But it's difficult to get here (the fresh stuff).
When I can get it, it goes into a big batch of erwtensoep (Dutch split pea soup)

No celery just green pepper, onion, beans, tomato, seasoning, and sometimes a small amount of one or both - unsweetened cocoa powder and peanut butter.

I rarely make chili anymore but when I did, celery was often, but not always, included. Corn occasionally as well. Me mum often used corn.

I wouldn't use celery in chili. Probably because I don't like celery but also because it doesn't seem to fit.

I have a couple of recipes for Chili that use celery. Goes in when the onions go into the pot.

I also have a recipe for spaghetti with meat sauce that calls for celery. I got that recipe in Junior High School Home Ec class and still make it to this day. As you might guess, it is a simple and quick meat sauce. DH loves that it has celery in it! I do to!

I always have celery on hand, along with carrots, onions, potatoes, peppers...

This is interesting to me. Everyone in my home town put celery in their chili. When V8 tomato juice cocktail first came out, people began using it in their chili, due to the celery flavor. Even the restaurants in the area used V8 as a base, or put celery in their chili. I guess that chili recipes are very regional. Then, you grow up, learn to cook, and tweak recipes, making them your own.:cool:

Chief Longwind of the North

I will start my chili with a sofritto (onion, celery & carrot) if I have celery, but I use it so sparingly that it usually goes bad before I can finish it. I have often challenged myself to make a big bunch of sofritto and freeze it in ½ cup portions, but I never seem to accept the challenge. I am getting REALLY lazy!

I will start my chili with a sofritto (onion, celery & carrot) if I have celery, but I use it so sparingly that it usually goes bad before I can finish it. I have often challenged myself to make a big bunch of sofritto and freeze it in ½ cup portions, but I never seem to accept the challenge. I am getting REALLY lazy!

I understand about lazy and getting more lazy as I get older. What you have to do is be even more lazy. Make that batch and think of all the work it will save and the laziness this will allow in the future. It will even save you having to shop for celery very often.

I should do this. I usually use a bunch of dry and wilty celery in a veggie stock. But, making a sofrito ahead of time would even save on the effort of chopping the veggies. I can use a machine and it will actually save enough work to make up for the extra dishwashing. Often, I could chop or slice something with a machine, but it's easy enough to do a small amount with a chef's knife and washing a chef's knife is a lot less effort than washing a mandolin, or parts of the food processor, or the attachment for vegis on my meat grinder.

Last edited:
Lordy, here in Texas there is an ongoing fight about beans/no beans in chili. If someone added celery there could be another shoot out at the OK Corral!
I make chili in the wintertime (all three weeks of it) and use beans. Please do not tell anyone since I like living here and don't want to be run out of town.

I don't care for celery. I only use it in cooking and sparingly then. As a result, I often have celery in the fridge that remains after being used in the one recipe I bought it for. I freeze it. Once frozen, it's only good as part of a mire poix, where its limp, soggy condition is not important.

Lordy, here in Texas there is an ongoing fight about beans/no beans in chili. If someone added celery there could be another shoot out at the OK Corral!
I make chili in the wintertime (all three weeks of it) and use beans. Please do not tell anyone since I like living here and don't want to be run out of town.
Chili or American Chili originated in San Antonio, TX. Like everything, it varies from place to place.

If I put beans in chili (sometimes I do, sometimes I don't) I like black beans in it, especially the almost round, shiny type, which are the more common type, now, though they used to be hard to find.

I have NEVER heard about anyone putting celery in their chili. I'm from New England, not sure if that matters.

I use celery for a lot of things, but I've never even thought about using it in chili. I live in Texas, where chili was invented, and I've never heard of anyone using it.

I love cajun food, so I do use celery a lot. Just not in chili.

CD

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom