Almonds in Hummus?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

larry_stewart

Master Chef
I was just watching the cooking show , and the host was making hummus. He added all the basic/ expected ingredients ( Chickpeas, lemon, garlic, olive oil, cumin, garlic, tahini ..). and then added almonds and ground it all up into a smooth - hummus consistency. I'm not questioning the almonds, I just never heard of it, nor tried if before. Have any of you ever added almonds when making hummus ?

Nope, never tried it; never even heard of it. But, it sounds tasty, as well as a fair bit more expensive. I have heard of, but never tried, using peanut butter instead of tahini.

I haven't but I see no harm. It would make it a little richer compared to the chickpeas (not as rich). Almonds are so good for your skin.
I've seen hummus-like dips/spreads made with all varieties of legumes, peas, lentils, nuts, and seeds.
We often make plain garlic lemon chickpea hummus and thin it so we can spread it on toast for sandwiches.

I'm still trying to wrap my head around cumin in hummus.
Really? Have I never posted my hummus recipe here? I put cumin seeds, ground coriander and cayenne in mine. So good ?

To me, chickpeas are like rice, potatoes, pasta, couscous, etc. - they're very bland and need a *lot* of seasoning, and not just salt.

Really? Have I never posted my hummus recipe here? I put cumin seeds, ground coriander and cayenne in mine. So good ?

To me, chickpeas are like rice, potatoes, pasta, couscous, etc. - they're very bland and need a *lot* of seasoning, and not just salt.
I enjoy the more traditional recipe that does not include those extras and is not bland at all.

There's a big selection of hummus products at Kroger. Takes an hour or two just to read the labels and some of it is Kroger deli made plus you can get a recipe card and make it ... they have all the ingredients.

Back
Top Bottom