Air Fryer ovens?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chef Munky

Honey Badger
My wall unit (Retro 80's) electric oven is dying a very slow death. I can smell something electrical emitting from it. Noticed that the broiler coil has a crack in it when lit.Like a sausage casing splitting. Very noticeable. The oven hasn't been getting up to the correct heat. A batch of cookies shouldn't take 3 hours at 350.
I've looked all over for a serial# for it . No where in sight.
It's not going to make come Turkey day. I'll be resorting too using a 18qt tried and true Roaster for dinner.
To replace it would just be a hassle.Way too expensive at this time. What I have found is usually out of stock. Then I'd have to find an Electrician to do the installation of it. Good luck finding one around here.Add that to the price.
So, I've been looking for a decent replacement for the counter air fryer that I have now. It's only a 2qt. I need one a little bit bigger.
Have been doing some looking around for a multi tasker.The reviews on some are still out for debate.Noticed user error on some reviews.
What I'm looking for is a unit that can hold a small prime rib bone in or out.
I do like the french doors.
Here's what I'm looking at

Does anyone have a recommendations on other brands available? Besides "Don't pay that asking price price"

I loved my Breville Smart Oven, and it did the whole 'convection air-fry" thing.
I currently have an Anova Precision Oven, an it can totally replace a conventional oven, and an airfryer, and a dehydrator, and a sous vide, and....and...and...........

Munky, I too, was looking at that same little oven. Thinking of my move here, I was hoping to replace a toaster, toaster oven, micro, griddle(r). What put me off, and I don't think this would be your problem (as your would be in a proper kitchen) but I didn't like the reviews that stated how hot the sides and back got. Only because of where I would be placing it in my apartment.
Pricey, but if I had the money, I would go for the Anova. I like everything I've read, so far.

I loved my Breville Smart Oven, and it did the whole 'convection air-fry" thing.
I currently have an Anova Precision Oven, an it can totally replace a conventional oven, and an airfryer, and a dehydrator, and a sous vide, and....and...and...........
Well, good morning troublemaker :)
I'm a true Brevilleian owner. It's a Cult I tell ya a Cult! Funny how you mentioned they had a smart oven. How did I miss that show? <- --- (Slacker...) LOL!
I'm a proud owner of the pie maker that I'll be using today. Pumpkin pies.
Have the Pannini maker. None of them has been banned to the back of the shelf, always kept up front and center. I'll be checking out the their smart oven.
I did have a quick chance yesterday to check out the Anova. Have a few questions on that.
It looks to be a nice appliance. Did it come with any accessories?
I did not see the Anova on Amazon. Know nothing about sous vide cooking.
Does your Anova emit smoke at the corner of the door?

Thank you
Munky.

Munky, I too, was looking at that same little oven. Thinking of my move here, I was hoping to replace a toaster, toaster oven, micro, griddle(r). What put me off, and I don't think this would be your problem (as your would be in a proper kitchen) but I didn't like the reviews that stated how hot the sides and back got. Only because of where I would be placing it in my apartment.
Pricey, but if I had the money, I would go for the Anova. I like everything I've read, so far.
I read that to. And that people that have bought them found out that the pans and racks are cheap and don't fit the machine That would explain the heat problem.
An improperly made product shouldn't have those kids of problems at all. Considering how much they cost.
I'm looking at this as an improvement, good investment.
My kitchen is older. Tiled counters and back splashers.
The tiles can't be replace, They call them "Popcorn tiles" Because of the small ridges in the tiles. That's what attracted me to this house. It's unique. Replacing them is out of the question.
Did you notice to that most of the videos for these appliances the demos are cooking right at the edge of the kitchen island? I have a kitchen island. To place it on it because of the cord length it would obstruct the space. basically it would look hideous.
The dripping of of bacon fat or any other fat from the door isn't floating my boat either.
I would probably have to buy a designated cooking cart and roll it to where I'll be cooking. And buy a drip pan from the auto parts store for the grease.
I nag my sons about not putting a pan under their cars because of oil leaking on my driveway. "Clean it up!"

Just my observations..Ok, no morecoffeeformetoday. :)

Munky.

I was hoping that @Silversage would chime in about her Anova. I have been lusting after one of those since she mentioned that she bought one. It sounds wonderful. But, for me, it is likely to remain something I just think about once in a while.
It has been fabulous! It is a bit pricey, but right now, I think Anova is having a Black Friday sale.

It has more room than my Breville Smart Oven (the biggest one). It replaced 3 bulky things on my counter.

Well, good morning troublemaker :)
I'm a true Brevilleian owner. It's a Cult I tell ya a Cult! Funny how you mentioned they had a smart oven. How did I miss that show? <- --- (Slacker...) LOL!
I'm a proud owner of the pie maker that I'll be using today. Pumpkin pies.
Have the Pannini maker. None of them has been banned to the back of the shelf, always kept up front and center. I'll be checking out the their smart oven.
I did have a quick chance yesterday to check out the Anova. Have a few questions on that.
It looks to be a nice appliance. Did it come with any accessories?
I did not see the Anova on Amazon. Know nothing about sous vide cooking.
Does your Anova emit smoke at the corner of the door?

Thank you
Munky.
It's not smoke. It's steam when you use the steam oven feature or cook sous vide in it. There is a drip tray at the botom front that catches any condensation (sometimes a couple tablespoons) but steam does come out of the front corner. It's harmless, and since mine sits on a solid surface counter, it does no harm. I wouldn't sit the oven on a wooden surface.

The only accessories were a half sheet pan and a basket type tray for air frying - and of course, 2 oven racks.

As far as I know, you still have to order directly from Anova (but I could be wrong). Anova is having a Black Friday discount right now.

It's not smoke. It's steam when you use the steam oven feature or cook sous vide in it. There is a drip tray at the botom front that catches any condensation (sometimes a couple tablespoons) but steam does come out of the front corner. It's harmless, and since mine sits on a solid surface counter, it does no harm. I wouldn't sit the oven on a wooden surface.

The only accessories were a half sheet pan and a basket type tray for air frying - and of course, 2 oven racks.

As far as I know, you still have to order directly from Anova (but I could be wrong). Anova is having a Black Friday discount right now.
Thank you for the information.
I'm swaying towards the Anova.Can't beat the Black Friday deal.
If it's not on Amazon that's probably a good thing.
If I bought one,your the pro here. Would you suggest I buy any more accessories for it?
What I really thought was impressive with it was the sourdough bread steam feature.
I gave up on Dutch oven method a long time ago.

Ohhhh, that massive microwave oven is going to be out of my house real soon.
The possible Anova will be taking over that spot. Plenty of room on all sides.
It's new and hardly ever been used. I didn't even need one that size.
Holding a garage sale soon 7am to 2 pm. Don't wake me up early.. ;)

Munky.

Thank you for the information.
I'm swaying towards the Anova.Can't beat the Black Friday deal.
If it's not on Amazon that's probably a good thing.
If I bought one,your the pro here. Would you suggest I buy any more accessories for it?
What I really thought was impressive with it was the sourdough bread steam feature.
I gave up on Dutch oven method a long time ago.

Ohhhh, that massive microwave oven is going to be out of my house real soon.
The possible Anova will be taking over that spot. Plenty of room on all sides.
It's new and hardly ever been used. I didn't even need one that size.
Holding a garage sale soon 7am to 2 pm. Don't wake me up early.. ;)

Munky.
You really don't need anything else. Just use your regular pans. The only thing I have found usefull is a baking stone or baking steel to fit the oven if you do a lot of pizza or bread. I've cooked everything from angel food cake to sous vide egg bites to meat roasts with pans I already have. There is a facebook group devoted to the APO, with recipes and ideas. It's real active and if you are interested, I can send you a link to it.

I came thisclose to buying the Anova yesterday.Didn't happen.
Did all the measurements. No matter where it would go I'm 3 to 4" too tall.
too wide to fit the counter. I wouldn't have any working space to protect the door.
Measured for under counter space that I thought would be perfect all open on all sides for heat ventilation. The one open space counter top It would have been half way into the kitchen sink :(

Looked at other brands. Breville. I'm going to have the same problem.
The shattered window doors really put me off.

Then it occurred to me that when I bought this house. I also bought an insurance plan that cover's all major appliances in the house from the a/c to c/h. Top to bottom.
I'll give my insurance company a call tomorrow. See what they have to say about it.
Hopefully it's not going to a too bad sooo sad conversation. If so I'll cancel it right now. You can't take my money in good faith, then tell me I'm out of luck.

Munky.

Last edited:
I came thisclose to buying the Anova yesterday.Didn't happen.
Did all the measurements. No matter where it would go I'm 3 to 4" too tall.
too wide to fit the counter. I wouldn't have any working space to protect the door.
Measured for under counter space that I thought would be perfect all open on all sides for heat ventilation. The one open space counter top It would have been half way into the kitchen sink :(

Looked at other brands. Breville. I'm going to have the same problem.
The shattered window doors really put me off.

Then it occurred to me that when I bought this house. I also bought an insurance plan that cover's all major appliances in the house from the a/c to c/h. Top to bottom.
I'll give my insurance company a call tomorrow. See what they have to say about it.
Hopefully it's not going to a too bad sooo sad conversation. If so I'll cancel it right now. You Whatcan't take my money in good faith, then tell me I'm out of luck.

Munky.
Whatever happened with this?

It appears your Retro 80's electric oven is experiencing multiple issues, including a cracked broiler coil, slow heating, and a noticeable electrical smell. Given the potential safety concerns, it's advisable to discontinue use. Since finding a replacement seems challenging, you're exploring alternatives like a multi-tasking countertop appliance.

Back
Top Bottom