Air Fryer anyone?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

texasgirl

Master Chef
I'm sure I've missed it but, what is your favorite thing to cook in an air fryer? I've only been brave enough for chicken wings that are our favorite wings ever.

I was gifted an AF for Christmas against my will. We've used a dozen times since then. I don't care for it. SO is a big fan after using one at her daughter's home last year. So she has taken it as a project.

Cooking with an AF means you have yo learn a different way to cook stuff you already cook using different methods.

I really can't help you with suggestions because I don't really feel like I've mastered it.

I don't have an AF. But, I have a toaster oven with "fan bake". Since it also has a dehydrate function, I bought grates for that. Anyhoo, I have been using the fanbake setting for frozen fries, which I put on the dehydrator grates and that works a treat. I don't have to flip the danged fries over half way through. I imagine that would work really well in an AF.

I think I've used my air fryer maybe four times. Three of those four times was to cook hot dogs. Hot dogs taste really good cooked in an air fryer. They almost taste like they just came off the grill.

My husband, bless his heart and rest his soul, bought me my air fryer for Christmas one year and it's probably the tiniest air fryer you can buy. So I don't use it much. Can't fit much in there. Except 4 or 5 hot dogs :LOL:

I've thought about buying a bigger one, but I really can't afford it now. Plus it would probably end up in the appliance graveyard next to my bread machine and several other gadgets I never use.

Unfortunately, tried foods are out for this house lol
BF had a major heart attack in 2019. I want to keep him around longer

Totally understandable. Although I love fried foods, I don't eat them often. Fried foods are more of a once-in-a-while treat for me.

Same here.

Most of the people I hang out with use an air fryer for things that need to be crisped up w/o frying. Cauliflower 'wings'..battered and breaded, then I bake them but most of them air fry it. Lots of vegetables can be air fried after battering and breading, all refined oil free.

With the cauliflower wings we either have them with hot sauce, or sweet savory stir fry sauce or bbq sauce.

Pizza rolls, corn dogs, pizza pockets.

Brocolli, chicken thighs, brown sugar cauliflower, glazed carrots.

Lots of things are great in the air fryer.

I got a Vortex hot air fryer for Christmas and was shocked at how small it was. So one of my friends bought it from me to give to her mother. I want something I can at least fit my casserole dish in.

I got a Vortex hot air fryer for Christmas and was shocked at how small it was. So one of my friends bought it from me to give to her mother. I want something I can at least fit my casserole dish in.

I have seen pictures of decent sized air fryers that also work as toaster ovens. I hope someone comes along and shares some links for you.

I had the Vortex Pro and now have the Omni Plus.

The Omni is larger and both are made by Instant Brands, which is well known for their Instant Pot Electric Pressure Cooker.

Both the Vortex and Omni are very good air fryers. I really liked the Vortex Pro and love the Omni Plus.

"lanaunderpressure" has a great selection of videos, to answer questions.

This one compares Instant Omni / Unboxing and Setup / Vortex vs Omni.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=azNGKTpKaV0

Ross

Thanks! Because I'm getting a little desperate for an oven. There are some things that a microwave or a crock pot just can't cook.

Edit:So I watched the video and it does seem as if the Omni would be a better choice for me. The only thing I'm concerned about is she says it gets hot. Well, this thing would be on my counter under the kitchen cabinets, so that could be a problem.

Last edited:
Thanks! Because I'm getting a little desperate for an oven. There are some things that a microwave or a crock pot just can't cook.

Edit:So I watched the video and it does seem as if the Omni would be a better choice for me. The only thing I'm concerned about is she says it gets hot. Well, this thing would be on my counter under the kitchen cabinets, so that could be a problem.

Same with all air fryers I have looked at, you need 5" clearance, top and sides.

To be honest, the unit gets 'hot' but, not hot enough to cause alarm. Mine sits on a wood table and the table top just gets warm. If you are concerned, most hardware stores sell inexpensive heat resistant pads/sheets, etc.

The only precaution I recommend is unplugging when not in use. I, once had a kitchen fire caused by a coffee maker.

Ross

Been looking around here and for $700 Cdn you get regular full size stove, meaning 4 burners and an oven. And I'm pretty sure if you look around you could probably get cheaper. You have an oven and burners on top. You can bake, roast, braise, toast/grill in the oven. You can boil, simmer, pan fry, deep fry, dry fry, stew, brown, braise on the stove top plus kitchens usually already have a stove/oven place, and almost alway with a vent. Then there are ovens with convection (air fryer?) and rotisserie outlet. Basically everything an air fryer can do.

Up here, Omni Pro is $400+ Cdn. takes up counter space, and you have probably watched the video to see what else it can do. Just doesn't have the burners.

With limited space in your trailer kitchen, you could easily chuck your range build in another cupboard for storage, place your Omni there, under the vent (get the big sucker if you're chucking your stove) buy a one or two burner for on the counter.

Last edited:
Same with all air fryers I have looked at, you need 5" clearance, top and sides.

To be honest, the unit gets 'hot' but, not hot enough to cause alarm.

1. Mine sits on a wood table and the table top just gets warm.
2. If you are concerned, most hardware stores sell inexpensive heat resistant pads/sheets, etc.

3. The only precaution I recommend is unplugging when not in use. I, once had a kitchen fire caused by a coffee maker.

Ross

1. Not so concerned about what it is resting on, more the sides and above.
2. Absolutely, I would at least cover the back wall. Maybe under the cupboard especially if presswood/particle board or what ever they make cupboards from. Solid wood, IMHO, would be safer.
3. Again, absolutely, especially if there is any chance of motion in your trailer that might cause the wall plug to loosen over time.

Eons ago, my boyfriend and I were leaving the den, he flicked the wall switch for the lamp on top of a chest. I told him I heard a "pop" from the plug behind it. Had to insist he check when he poo-poo'd my 'hearing'.
Well, the carpet under the chest was on fire and rapidly traveling across the floor heading for the curtains beside.
'Here endeth the sermon'

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom