Adapting commercial mixes to recipe

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Aunt Bea

Master Chef
I have gotten to the point that I only get the urge to bake something once or twice a year.

As a result, my pantry is empty of basics like flour, sugar, etc...

I'm wondering if instead of running out and buying all sorts of ingredients to make a small batch of cookies or a cake from an old scratch recipe if I could adapt the old recipe to a commercial baking mix with good results.

My thought is that if I measure the mix into a bowl using the same number of cups, spoons, etc... called for in the recipes dry ingredients that I could add the liquid and spices called for in the recipe and come up with a close clone.

What do you think, should I just forget it and stop at the bakery! :ermm::ohmy::LOL:

Thanks, B

I've made cake-in-a-mug using angelfood cake mix in the microwave. Turned out pretty good.

I have gotten to the point that I only get the urge to bake something once or twice a year.

As a result, my pantry is empty of basics like flour, sugar, etc...

I'm wondering if instead of running out and buying all sorts of ingredients to make a small batch of cookies or a cake from an old scratch recipe if I could adapt the old recipe to a commercial baking mix with good results.

My thought is that if I measure the mix into a bowl using the same number of cups, spoons, etc... called for in the recipes dry ingredients that I could add the liquid and spices called for in the recipe and come up with a close clone.

What do you think, should I just forget it and stop at the bakery! :ermm::ohmy::LOL:

Thanks, B

Me too Bea!
Lot's of deserts can be made with little more than a box cake mix from the Dollar Store.
I made a sinful Gooey Butter Cake (lots of easy recipes) with some butter, cream cheese, and a box of powdered sugar.

There are a number of baking mixes for things like cookies that could be frozen and mixed up in small batches. One of my go to quick recipes are cookies made from 99 cent brownie mix. They can be turned into whoopee pies or drizzled with melted while chocolate to gussy them up. I imagine you could bake a partial batch and save the rest for another time :)

I've had great success with cake mix cookies. A box of cake mix, an egg, some oil - voila! A few dozen cookies. You can add nuts or dried fruit if you wish. There are scores of websites and recipes to pick from. If you want me to post a few, I'll do later when I fire up my laptop.

Ooh, I forgot about the Cake Doctor cookbooks. There are at least 2 of them and I have 1. She uses store bought cake mixes and adds to them. I've made several recipes out of it and they were all good.

I second the "sinful gooey butter cake" comment!

Thanks for the thoughts and information.

I think I will give it a try. I'm pretty sure that what I make will be edible, I'm just not sure it will resemble my old recipe.

I may also take a spin around the dollar store and see what they offer in the way of small bags of flour, sugar, etc...

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom