A Remodel of Our Itty-Bitty Kitchen

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Kitchen Remodel on Christmas Eve

We are SO close to completing this remodel. I'm so grateful to seeing the light at the end of this tunnel. What remains to be done is to have the last cabinet panel come in so that the small cabinet can be completed near the window. Once it does, then the microwave/hood can be installed and done!

Yesterday, the refrigerator was completely hooked up. It is now giving us filtered water and ice! When I knock on the glass, it will light up. There is a "door within the door" where drinks and common items can be placed so we do not have to open the entire refrigerator. We even have food in it. Not a lot...but still....functioning! :w00t:

I found these cute curtains and rug to make it more festive for the holidays. We still need to start placing things on the walls, etc. I think that will be the Christmas plan. Others will be assembling toys and we will assemble a kitchen. :LOL:

I sincerely cannot wait for it all to be completed to share it with you. And I really thank you all for the encouragement and positive comments. It meant a lot and made us feel less alone in doing this!

Merry Christmas, everyone!

Attachments

• 2020-12-23.jpg
    2020-12-23.jpg
    49.5 KB · Views: 120
  • 2020-12-24 (2).jpg
    2020-12-24 (2).jpg
    50.2 KB · Views: 75
  • 2020-12-24 (1).jpg
    2020-12-24 (1).jpg
    50.5 KB · Views: 55
  • 2020-12-24.jpg
    2020-12-24.jpg
    51.2 KB · Views: 62
Love the Christmas textiles, Kathleen. Things are looking great! My SIL had a pull down hatch door in one of their refrigerators over the decades. When we would visit, I'd make a point of having some milk just so I could use it. [emoji38]

I see a lot of the new fridges, even ones with cameras inside so you can check on items while at the store.

Not sure I'd want to see inside my fridge most of the time. Its great when new, and great when we do a complete dump and clean.

Other than that, not so good.

That being said, that is a cool fridge.

I'm glad you see the light at the end of the tunnel. It's looking good.

I may have spoke too soon. I still need the panel to install the microwave. Lowe's has stomped every cornflake I have over it. I have shown up personally several times and do wonder how they function without managers. The manager is ALWAYS at lunch, gone home, at another store, etc. Perhaps I should release my inner frustration on them...but it is not my style. I do document though. Corporate will get a lengthy letter from me once this is over....not that they will likely care. Not that it will change anything except to make me feel better. :glare:

Love the Christmas textiles, Kathleen. Things are looking great! My SIL had a pull down hatch door in one of their refrigerators over the decades. When we would visit, I'd make a point of having some milk just so I could use it. [emoji38]

I totally understand that! I discovered that I can tell my water dispenser exactly how much water to drop in a container. 4 ounces. 8 ounces. Up to 32 ounces along with cubed and crushed ice. It just makes me giggle. :)

I see a lot of the new fridges, even ones with cameras inside so you can check on items while at the store.

Not sure I'd want to see inside my fridge most of the time. Its great when new, and great when we do a complete dump and clean.

Other than that, not so good.

That being said, that is a cool fridge.

The refrigerator light is not always on so you cannot always see inside. But I can turn it on with a soft knock whenever I want. I'm sort of hoping that seeing inside will make me do more to keep the refrigerator cleaned out, etc. Today, I got rid of leftovers that were past their prime - and these leftovers were from 2021! Hopefully, I can continue the trend! :LOL:

So I have done some retail therapy while waiting for the microwave panel. I thought I would share the new "kitchen candy" that Amazon has delivered.
;)

We like cast iron and have some nice pieces. Cast iron does not nest well in the drawers, and we knew that it wouldn't. My solution came from Julia Child in the form of a pegboard. My pegboards are metal with an enamel coating of paint. Many colors could be selected. I chose grey because I thought it blended best. For the hangers, I found them in red. It was perfect to store the cast iron and a much-needed step-stool! These were purchased in packs of 2. Very sturdy. Not hard to hang.

Speaking of drawers, for our cabinets, we opted to go with drawers instead of shelves. I'm glad we did this because the drawers come out and it is easy to see everything. Here is a picture of a drawer with my baking pans (many of which have seen better times.) To keep them from going all over the drawer, I found these spring-loaded dividers. I've used them in several places aside from this drawer like the drawer that houses cooking utensils.

I've never been able to put all of my flatware in one drawer. Again, on Amazon, I found this expandable organizer made of teak. It works great! I can select whether to expand the left or right side or make them even.

The old kitchen had a small shelf over the sink. We quickly discovered that we really missed the shelf as it had a holder for scissors, markers, etc. It also held a timer and small container for rings. Again on Amazon, I found a small glass shelf that almost looks like it was made for the space over the sink. Serendipity. :cool:

I just want it to be done. It's very therapeutic to simply unpack some of the ridiculous amount of boxes. I still see the light at the end of the tunnel, but the train does not seem to be moving. Lowe's said the panel will be here 1/28. Ridiculous.

Attachments

• 2021-01-09.jpg
    2021-01-09.jpg
    45.1 KB · Views: 55
  • 2021-01-09 (1).jpg
    2021-01-09 (1).jpg
    37.8 KB · Views: 72
  • 2020-12-29 (1).jpg
    2020-12-29 (1).jpg
    72.8 KB · Views: 58
  • 2021-01-09 (2).jpg
    2021-01-09 (2).jpg
    34 KB · Views: 49
  • 2020-12-29 (2).jpg
    2020-12-29 (2).jpg
    115.9 KB · Views: 57
Great Idea for the pegboard, Kathleen! I don't remember where I saw that, to get the idea when setting up my kitchen, back in '83, but it's great having all those pans easily accessible, and not having to dig them out of cabinets.

Great Idea for the pegboard, Kathleen! I don't remember where I saw that, to get the idea when setting up my kitchen, back in '83, but it's great having all those pans easily accessible, and not having to dig them out of cabinets.

Thanks, Pepperhead! You might have seen it in Julia Child's kitchen. It is where I got the idea!

SO...the contractor has completed work on my Itty Bitty Kitchen. I still need to hang a few things and organize a bit more, but the construction is done! I don't want to not be humble, but I am delighted with the kitchen. It's so organized and efficient! I still have a bit of guilt over the old stove, but...I have to confess that I adore the changes!

Here are some pictures taken right after the contractor left. A note about our contractor: He was the best part of this project. He stayed in communication, ran some interference with Lowes, and he always arrived when he said he would at the time he gave. I really do not think I could have managed as well as we did without him. He knew that we had no experience with this kind of thing. He actually lead us through!

Having the itty bitty kitchen, space is premium. Our contractor built the little shelves to the side of the stove. Below, we store a few trays and items for the stove (like the air fryer tray.) Then I have two pictures of the stove with microwave taken from the door to outside and one from the door in the basement. You can see my "Tick List" of items to check out on the other countertop along with my lemonade. Remembering that we were discussing spice storage, I snapped a picture of the spice rack that resides behind the door to the dining room. We found a nice step ladder that worked with the kitchen really well. It's needed since we increased the height of the cabinets.

Thank you guys for all of the encouraging comments and suggestions. If things would have arrived as expected, it would not have been overly challenging....but everything has been worth it!

Attachments

• 2021-01-27.jpg
    2021-01-27.jpg
    44.5 KB · Views: 57
  • 2021-01-27 (2).jpg
    2021-01-27 (2).jpg
    60.1 KB · Views: 50
  • 2021-01-27 (1).jpg
    2021-01-27 (1).jpg
    42.8 KB · Views: 55
  • 2021-01-27 (3).jpg
    2021-01-27 (3).jpg
    53.9 KB · Views: 58
  • 2021-01-27 (4).jpg
    2021-01-27 (4).jpg
    34.2 KB · Views: 52
  • 2021-01-27 (5).jpg
    2021-01-27 (5).jpg
    33.4 KB · Views: 55
Last edited:
Very nice, Kathleen (and Frank)! Many happy years of cooking in your new kitchen.

I do like the convenience of the window near the stove. Never know when you need to dump something quickly. :D :whistling

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom