A Remodel of Our Itty-Bitty Kitchen

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Looking good, Kathleen, but sorry to hear about all of the delays. It'll get done eventually. Good luck with the fridge and MW!

Delays are the name of the business these days.

We are waiting 8-10 weeks for materials thst used to take 3 or 4. Even normal things that should be readily available are taking a week or more.

Just getting things like a box of stainless screws can be a challenge right now.

Today: WATER!

Once upon a time, my grandmother shared a story where several generations were viewing the grand-daughter's new kitchen. Great-Grandma said, "Dear, which of these wonderful things would you be unable to do without?"

The grand-daughter said, "Hmm...probably my microwave.
The mother said, "I don't know. Likely the refrigerator."
The grandmother said, "I'm very partial to my stove."
The great-grandmother said, "I'll take running water every time!"

I totally agree with great-grandmother. Today, the contractor came by to hook up the sink with the faucet we purchased at CostCo. It can be operated manually or touchless, and had an option of batteries or electric. We paid the extra $14 dollars for the electric and had the contractor place an electrical plug when he installed one for the dishwasher. A confession is that I stood there turning it on and off as if witnessing a holy miracle for a good 10 minutes.

I saw this really cute silicon strainer and bought it. The chicken reminds me of why I wanted the touchless feature as we always need water when our hands are slathered with chicken goop. I've also started to line the shelves and drawers with liner.

On a different topic, I went to Best Buys Outlet today and there was MY fridge! The one that I have not been able to get. It had a dent in the top of the front door. Not hugely noticeable, so if the refrigerator does not come in on Monday, I may see if this one is still there.

The painter is supposed to start on Saturday.

In full disclosure, I've had a few meltdowns during the remodel. Primarily over the lack of communication regarding deliveries.

Attachments

• 2020-12-10 (1).jpg
    2020-12-10 (1).jpg
    33 KB · Views: 119
  • 2020-12-10.jpg
    2020-12-10.jpg
    24.8 KB · Views: 82
  • 2020-12-10 (2).jpg
    2020-12-10 (2).jpg
    62 KB · Views: 58
Last edited:
Looking good, Kathleen! Sure you're going through some rough patches right now, but just like childbirth, you'll forget all about the pain once your new baby is here. ;)

"In full disclosure, I've had a few meltdowns during the remodel. Primarily over the lack of communication regarding deliveries."

Totally understandable.

Ross

In full disclosure, I've had a few meltdowns during the remodel. Primarily over the lack of communication regarding deliveries.
[emoji813]

DH and I renovated and expanded our upstairs bathroom in 2009. It involved taking all the clothes, etc., out of the very large closet (half of a former fourth bedroom) and having the upstairs bathroom out of commission for at least a month, mostly due to delays. I think I've pretty much blocked out the memory [emoji38] I was really stressed at work that year, too. We were just talking about it yesterday and remembering how it almost led to divorce.

It's looking great. You'll get through this and laugh about it later {{{hugs}}}

Today....

....we have paint! The paint is wet in these pictures and looks pretty bold. I love yellow kitchens. :) The "pantry shelves" are painted the same color as the cabinets.

Attachments

• 2020-12-12 (1).jpg
    2020-12-12 (1).jpg
    32.2 KB · Views: 79
  • 2020-12-12.jpg
    2020-12-12.jpg
    22.9 KB · Views: 72
  • 2020-12-12 (3).jpg
    2020-12-12 (3).jpg
    17.8 KB · Views: 70
  • 2020-12-12 (2).jpg
    2020-12-12 (2).jpg
    38.9 KB · Views: 64

Makes complete sense to me. Last time we redid a kitchen after months of reno, problems and slow downs, on the day the last thing was finally done and the range was functional I ordered a delivery pizza and ate it on paper towels. :ermm:

Appliance Take-Aways

Makes complete sense to me. Last time we redid a kitchen after months of reno, problems and slow downs, on the day the last thing was finally done and the range was functional I ordered a delivery pizza and ate it on paper towels. :ermm:

:LOL:

So, did you get your fridge?

We did! And we have a microwave! Now we just need the cabinet parts to build the small cabinet. I can see it coming together!

So here is what I have learned from my appliance fiasco (other than not to do a remodel during a pandemic.)

Lowe's is huge. Really big. Sadly, Peter at one store does not know what Paul at the other store is doing. For example, an item was ordered online, but it is delivered from a store nearer to another city (for whatever reason.) All of the components are not delivered. You pick up missing pieces at your local Lowes, but they cannot give it to you. You must purchase it again, and then work with the other store to get reimbursed for missing items. To me, this makes zero sense to me. However, that is how it went down with the kitchen tile. Silly me thought Lowes was Lowes. Instead, it feels more like independent franchises.

Lowe's people (for the most part) really do want to help, but they do not have adequate information to do so. For example, the manager of the local Lowes was trying to seek our refrigerator at ANY Lowes, but never found it. Also, customer service was under the impression that a refrigerator was to be delivered, they were not. In fact, somehow, the order had been canceled - likely due to the fact that the microwave was discontinued. The poor local manager had no idea.

Communication with Lowes is difficult. Again, it is rare that one person has all of the answers. My ONLY issue with Lowes is communication - including the access the employees have to product. It's sincerely not fair to the employees or customers.

We ended up receiving our refrigerator through Home Depot online. It was delivered to my......dining room. To get it into the kitchen, doors had to be removed, which they do not do. When we called the store who delivered, we were told that they had "no one qualified to remove the doors" on our particular fridge. :ohmy: Also, the delivery people were not permitted to remove an interior door to see whether the fridge would then slide into the kitchen. Ah well....they brought it in from the truck. And we have our fridge...that makes artesian ice! Once it gets all hooked up. Frank and his friend removed the doors and got it in place.

Another friend told me that Lowe's and Home Depot rely on third party delivery. This makes sense to me as some deliveries were awesome and others were problematic. She also told me that Best Buys runs its own inventory per region and they maintain control of their deliveries. Also, the updates were incredible.

With our selected microwave being discontinued, we opted for one made by kitchenaid. I ordered it online and got a confirmation. I then got regular updates up until the morning of the delivery. The delivery guys called 20 minutes before arriving. And they were very helpful and very careful with our product. Also, they were willing to do whatever we needed them to do in regards to the delivery. Plus, they gave me their names prior to leaving and asked me to provide feedback on their service. Based on this alone, if possible, I will return to Best Buys for appliances.

Below is a photograph of the unhooked up fridge! I can see it coming together! :w00t2: I'm spending today lining shelves, and considering what will go where. And hoping the cabinet pieces will arrive so this can be complete!

Attachments

• 2020-12-15.jpg
    2020-12-15.jpg
    34.2 KB · Views: 59
Last edited:
We ended up receiving our refrigerator through Home Depot online. It was delivered to my......dining room. To get it into the kitchen, doors had to be removed, which they do not do. When we called the store who delivered, we were told that they had "no one qualified to remove the doors" on our particular fridge. :ohmy: Also, the delivery people were not permitted to remove an interior door to see whether the fridge would then slide into the kitchen. Ah well....they brought it in from the truck. And we have our fridge...that makes artesian ice! Once it gets all hooked up. Frank and his friend removed the doors and got it in place.

Below is a photograph of the unhooked up fridge!

Thanks! The front reminds me of the face on a tiki totem. :LOL:

Luckily, when I purchased my fridge, from Home Depot, the sales person warned me that the delivery people could not a) remove doors in my home. and b) not remove the doors on my fridge.

So I removed my front door, my porch door by myself and thankfully, they felt sorry for me and helped me at least balance them while I put them back on.
This way they did not have to remove the doors to put in the kitchen - my kitchen doorway, although not a double is very large.

LOL - thank you! those doors do look like tiki totem faces! Always thought there was something familiar about them.. :LOL::LOL:

Everything is gorgeous Kathleen. Nice going and Congrats again!!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom