A Remodel of Our Itty-Bitty Kitchen

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I was in Scottsbluff earlier today...was going to call you and let you know I was on my way to Lincoln...got a haircut instead.

I'm excited for you and Frank...new kitchen, wahoo!

Kgirl, when my son and DIL re-did their kitchen, I was flabbergasted that she had prepared and frozen meals for the duration. They had moved everything to the basement.

But, of course, like everyone else, their contractor got fired in the end for multiple reasons. That job stretched into months and months.

Finally ended well and they do have a kitchen they love.

I'm such a dork - why I didn't see multiple pages is just funny! Anyway - love, love, love this kitchen! I can't wait to see it all done. :)

Very nice. We have a similar kitchen. A total of 8x12 feet and its a pass through kitchen as well.

Not much can be done except for making it nice and sparkly and making the cabinets as efficient as possible.

I envy folks with big kitchens, or rooms that can be opened up. I would kill for a big kitchen with an island and a big pantry.

As for microwaves. Only one I will ever buy these days is a Panasonic. The Inverter technology is truly a game changer.

Looks great. But reading all the trouble you had to go thru makes me think twice about remodeling our kitchen. Well, maybe I'll wait another 8 years. We've been here only 22 years.

I was in Scottsbluff earlier today...was going to call you and let you know I was on my way to Lincoln...got a haircut instead.

I'm excited for you and Frank...new kitchen, wahoo!

I love that it is starting to pull together!

Kgirl, when my son and DIL re-did their kitchen, I was flabbergasted that she had prepared and frozen meals for the duration. They had moved everything to the basement.

But, of course, like everyone else, their contractor got fired in the end for multiple reasons. That job stretched into months and months.

Finally ended well and they do have a kitchen they love.

Sadly, I'm not that pulled together. :LOL: I might have been IF I had a easily accessible sink. With something other than a dryer to act as a countertop! We are fortunate though. So many restaurants deliver to my door.

I'm such a dork - why I didn't see multiple pages is just funny! Anyway - love, love, love this kitchen! I can't wait to see it all done. :)

We wondered why you were so quiet. :ROFLMAO:

Very nice. We have a similar kitchen. A total of 8x12 feet and its a pass through kitchen as well.

Not much can be done except for making it nice and sparkly and making the cabinets as efficient as possible.

I envy folks with big kitchens, or rooms that can be opened up. I would kill for a big kitchen with an island and a big pantry.

As for microwaves. Only one I will ever buy these days is a Panasonic. The Inverter technology is truly a game changer.

Once I craved (really craved) a huge kitchen. And there are still moments when I am sincerely wistful. However, over the years, I have found that when I have space, I still overfill it. My small kitchen has forced me to learn to cook really efficiently. :chef: But sometimes.....canning season, holiday preparation, and dinner with friends where everyone cooks....a big kitchen would be lovely!

Looks great. But reading all the trouble you had to go thru makes me think twice about remodeling our kitchen. Well, maybe I'll wait another 8 years. We've been here only 22 years.

It feels like a lot of headaches, but the main thing has been with the arrival of items and the lack of communication from Lowes. I could have gone with a different company, but then I would have never found my contractor or kitchen consultant. I'm 10 days in....and expected it to take 4 weeks from beginning to end. If I run a bit over, I'm still good with everything. Plus, I might have avoided all of the headaches if I went with a contractor who had their own project manager - but I'm acting as my own project manager which did allow me to save enough for some small splurges.

Tomorrow, a little custom cabinet is going to be built. Tuesday, we will have the countertop template made. I also hope to hire a painter this week.

Last night, we put a layer of sealant on the grout. What a romantic Saturday night date! :LOL:

Last edited:
Day 11

We have a call into a painter.

Today, a switch was moved, some of the cabinet door pulls were installed, the shelf was placed, and a small slide-in cabinet was built next to the stove.

We needed to order a few items from the cabinet maker that we had not accounted for. Tomorrow, floor transition strips may be added. If the rest of our door pulls arrive, we can have them placed. (If they never come in, I do have a plan B thanks to "Amazon's Project Management Short Course" aka Life Experience.)

The countertop people confirmed the appointment for tomorrow. :)

Here are the photos from today. :)

Attachments

• 2020-11-23.jpg
    2020-11-23.jpg
    50.7 KB · Views: 107
  • 2020-11-23 (3).jpg
    2020-11-23 (3).jpg
    25.5 KB · Views: 74
  • 2020-11-23 (2).jpg
    2020-11-23 (2).jpg
    30.4 KB · Views: 71
  • 2020-11-23 (1).jpg
    2020-11-23 (1).jpg
    35.5 KB · Views: 79
We have a call into a painter.

Today, a switch was moved, some of the cabinet door pulls were installed, the shelf was placed, and a small slide-in cabinet was built next to the stove.

We needed to order a few items from the cabinet maker that we had not accounted for. Tomorrow, floor transition strips may be added. If the rest of our door pulls arrive, we can have them placed. (If they never come in, I do have a plan B thanks to "Amazon's Project Management Short Course" aka Life Experience.)

The countertop people confirmed the appointment for tomorrow. :)

Here are the photos from today. :)
Looks great! Is that slide-in next to the stove going to be a spice closet? Or a sheet pan home?

Cabinet pulls look good. If you can find a small sliding rack you might use the small cabinet next to the stove to store spices or pot lids. It's all looking really nice. I'm happy for your guys! :)

Day 12

Really looking nice. Things are progressing well.

I feel that we are getting close to having it complete. Sadly, we have to order a few items and are on hold until they come in.

Looks great! Is that slide-in next to the stove going to be a spice closet? Or a sheet pan home?

It's close to the backdoor and we are planning to store the pizza stone in it. The contractor made it out of extra pieces. He is also going to do another small space above it for things like salt, pepper, and easy-to-nab items for cooking. We ordered a few panels for the upper.

Cabinet pulls look good. If you can find a small sliding rack you might use the small cabinet next to the stove to store spices or pot lids. It's all looking really nice. I'm happy for your guys! :)

We have a great space for spices, so this small space is intended to be used to store the large pizza stone. Right now, we don't have anywhere safe to place the pizza stone and we don't want it to be broken. So...that is the current plan.

Basically we are at a stopping point. We had the template for the countertops measured today, and we were able to verify the quartz color and edging. It will take about 10 days to have it cut and installed.

We also ordered a small valance for the cabinet over the sink. Again, have to wait for it along with the panels and a replacement door for a cabinet door that is warped. And we are waiting on the rest of the door pulls to arrive from Amazon.

It is our hope to get our remaining appliances by December 10. Prior to that, we hope to have the room painted. Then.....kitchen! :)

At CostCo, we found a touchless faucet. Normally, they use batteries but this one has a plug in option. Our contractor placed a two plug socket in for the dishwasher and faucet today along with a transition flooring strip.

Sooooo close and we cannot wait!

To be continued....in a week or so.

Attachments

• 2020-11-24 (1).jpg
    2020-11-24 (1).jpg
    66.5 KB · Views: 70
  • 2020-11-24.jpg
    2020-11-24.jpg
    25.9 KB · Views: 72
Last edited:
Kathleen, I just leave my pizza stone on the bottom of the oven all the time. When run the self-cleaning cycle, my stone comes through nice and clean!

+ 3 for leaving the pizza stone in the oven.

My 15" round Pizza Stone stays permanently on the bottom rack.

I remember years back watching a TV program about making Pizza at home, and it was suggested that the Stone should be placed on the very bottom rack to get as hot as possible. I figured why not just leave him there, I rarely bake/roast anything on that rack anyways.

Many Days Later...

Today, our countertops were installed. I love how they look! Hopefully, our sink will be working tomorrow - if our contractor's COVID test comes back negative.

So...yesterday, Lowes called to say that my fridge and microwave are not going to come in. *joy* They said they were willing to help me find something else even if it is more for the same price. Then today, I got an email saying they were looking to other locations to get my appliances. I have no idea what is going on.

Frank found the fridge at another location and ordered it. IF it comes in as promised on Monday, we will cancel the fridge at Lowes. The microwave is discontinued. I found a different brand that sounded good to me and ordered it. Again, if it comes in, I'll be happy. Only time will tell, I guess.

The painters seem to fall through as well. Again, COVID issues. :ermm:

The appliance situation is unsettling, but I can understand that Covid has tossed struggles into appliance delivery. What I cannot justify is the lack of communication from Lowes. I feel that the people with whom I contact do care, but the business seems too big for anyone to find out anything. Plus, getting someone on the phone is problematic.

In any case, I do feel the remodel will be worth it in the end. For today, countertops! :)

~Kathleen

Attachments

• 2020-12-09 (1).jpg
    2020-12-09 (1).jpg
    62.9 KB · Views: 75
  • 2020-12-09 (2).jpg
    2020-12-09 (2).jpg
    28.5 KB · Views: 74
  • 2020-12-09 (3).jpg
    2020-12-09 (3).jpg
    27.8 KB · Views: 75
  • 2020-12-09.jpg
    2020-12-09.jpg
    92.5 KB · Views: 71
Looks beautiful. Much lighter and brighter - love it. Your counter looks like one I thought of for our kitchen but the colors weren't right for what I wanted. If we come visit for Christmas I could paint your kitchen, woodwork too! Hope you get the appliance problem fixed. Lowe's is great for some stuff, not so great for other stuff. :)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom