A Remodel of Our Itty-Bitty Kitchen

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Day 7

The picture today looks a bit rough. Grouting has started. The contractor cleaned a small spot (sorta) so I could get a better idea of how it will look when all is completed.

In my current mode of panic over not having a fridge or microwave in sight, I'm scanning other options. The microwave sadly seems discontinued. Frank found one in stock at a Mom and Pop appliance shop in Clarksville, IN and another in Nebraska. Neither want to ship the microwave east.

We are looking at a Bosch if we have to decide on another option. If I do not get my refrigerator, I will be extremely disappointed. Time will tell.

Tomorrow, the stove and dishwasher are to arrive. :)

Attachments

• 2020-11-17.jpg
    2020-11-17.jpg
    49.9 KB · Views: 81
Where in Nebraska?? I'm only 17 miles away from Nebraska...I might be able to pick it up and then ship it to you!

What brand are the appliances? I ordered a new set (range, fridge, dw, micro), of GE in June. They were all supposed to arrive together in 10 days. They came one by one, with the last, the dishwasher finally arriving in September.

Day 8

Where in Nebraska?? I'm only 17 miles away from Nebraska...I might be able to pick it up and then ship it to you!

Lincoln, Nebraska

What brand are the appliances? I ordered a new set (range, fridge, dw, micro), of GE in June. They were all supposed to arrive together in 10 days. They came one by one, with the last, the dishwasher finally arriving in September.

LG is the brand. So today, Lowes brought our dishwasher, but not the stove. The delivery guy brought in the dishwasher and we asked him to pause for a moment so we could ensure it was the right color. The driver said, "I don't have time." He took the dishwasher back out the front door bashing the door on the way out. They loaded it in the truck and we found that it was correct. Failing to stop them from driving off, I called the number that they called me and said, "Could you bring it back? It is correct." The guy said, "No, we are 10 minutes away." He was sitting a block away waiting to turn off our street. Nice.

So I called the store. Call 1: Got disconnected. Call 2: Fast busy after waiting on hold. Call 3: Customer service who tells me that the dishwasher was to have been delivered today, the fridge and microwave tomorrow, and the stove on Friday.

I'm shocked. So he swears they have it coming tomorrow. I asked for someone to call me to confirm and have heard nothing at all since. Also asked whether they can return my dishwasher to me and have heard nothing at all. We will see whether we have a delivery tomorrow.

It absolutely amazes me that there is zero accountability or response to customer issues. I never imagined how awful it could be. :neutral:

The construction fellas are almost at a stopping point without my appliances. However, here is where we are today.

Attachments

• 2020-11-18.jpg
    2020-11-18.jpg
    44.3 KB · Views: 70
  • 2020-11-18 (3).jpg
    2020-11-18 (3).jpg
    33.5 KB · Views: 75
  • 2020-11-18 (2).jpg
    2020-11-18 (2).jpg
    63.9 KB · Views: 71
Your issues with Lowes are awful. Sorry you have to deal with this. I'll file this info away when looking for new appliances.

Yeah, I'm sorry too, been there and it is sooo frustrating.

But if I may, with the next hiccup, I suggest you go directly to the store and grab the manager by the ear and gently fill it continually until he can guarantee satisfaction.

I refused a sale ($3,000) at our Big Box when they wouldn't back the delivery company in writing. They eventually did. The delivery company's maybe affiliated with the box stores for deliveries but are actually independents.

So what happens is that they tell you if you have a problem with delivery to contact the delivery company, not them. My view is that they (big box) are making the promise and I will contact them (big box)!

Love the updates! Your kitchen is a dead ringer for one I had in Pittsburgh. Looks like you have some great updates going on. The first 2 kitchen renos I did included a kitchen designer who saved us $$ and had better ideas than we did. She suggested ways to use stock cabinets in non-traditional ways e.g turning a bookcase unit into wine storage by adding half-round trim pieces to the shelves to keep bottles from rolling. She helped us avoid some bad design choices, etc.

Can't wait to see the completed project!

Dealing with stores/customer service is becoming impossible. Nobody cares. When I came to US, 30 years ago, I remember walking into Dayton's (Macy's today) and two people would run to help. Today I walk in the same store and two people noticing me are running away, pretending that they are busy.
The whole America is turning that way. No responsibility. Nothing. The only thing that matters is "myself". Me me me.
Scarry.

Your issues with Lowes are awful. Sorry you have to deal with this. I'll file this info away when looking for new appliances.

Thanks, Andy. I'm filing this away too. Honestly, the kitchen consultant was awesome. One of the managers for delivery has been good but he is stretched between several stores. Customer service people are very kind but non-effective. I guess they are cheaper than therapy. :LOL:

Sorry about the appliance woes, but the kitchen is looking Grand!

Thanks, PF. Does this mean you are not on your way to Nebraska? :ROFLMAO:

Yeah, I'm sorry too, been there and it is sooo frustrating.

But if I may, with the next hiccup, I suggest you go directly to the store and grab the manager by the ear and gently fill it continually until he can guarantee satisfaction.

I refused a sale ($3,000) at our Big Box when they wouldn't back the delivery company in writing. They eventually did. The delivery company's maybe affiliated with the box stores for deliveries but are actually independents.

So what happens is that they tell you if you have a problem with delivery to contact the delivery company, not them. My view is that they (big box) are making the promise and I will contact them (big box)!

I can do that. I recently gassed up the mini and have many freshly washed facemasks.

On a plus side, my friend told me that Best Buys has its own delivery people. If true, I may look there next time I need an appliance.

+4 Kathleen!!!

I agree with dragn, I'd be down at that Lowes, pronto!

Oh, and btw, I JUST LOVE that tile!
What color paint have you chosen?
I'd love to see a sample ....

<edit: and what color finish are the appliances?

I'm ready for the next blip. :cool:

The paint color is still being discussed. Although I typically do not like yellow, I have loved my yellow kitchen. This kitchen gets very little natural light and, what little there is, is gone within an hour. Yellow has been really enhanced what natural light is there. Personally, I am partial to a light buttery color. Frank I think wants something bolder.

The appliances are black stainless. (It's like a deep charcoal color.) I think we are going to wait to see them with the tile before deciding on the walls. The countertops are a white encrusted with flecks of glass and natural stone. All of our minor appliances (like the stand mixer, etc.) are bright red.

Love the updates! Your kitchen is a dead ringer for one I had in Pittsburgh. Looks like you have some great updates going on. The first 2 kitchen renos I did included a kitchen designer who saved us $$ and had better ideas than we did. She suggested ways to use stock cabinets in non-traditional ways e.g turning a bookcase unit into wine storage by adding half-round trim pieces to the shelves to keep bottles from rolling. She helped us avoid some bad design choices, etc.

Can't wait to see the completed project!

So we started with a couple of kitchen designers. One wanted me to take down a wall, which I stressed was not something I would consider. I like my formal dining room. The other went three times over my budget that I shared with her before even working with her - and that was without appliances. :wacko: There were a few others along these lines. I think we were fortunate to be able to really get a feel for what space we could gain on our own. Like....taking down the bulkhead over the cabinets. (I knew it was hallow, but everyone (including me) held their breath when we popped it open. :) It's a tiny kitchen so we were able to consider every spot. We are even having a small cabinet built in a four inch wasted space for things like cookie sheets....or a pizza stone or something like that.

Dealing with stores/customer service is becoming impossible. Nobody cares. When I came to US, 30 years ago, I remember walking into Dayton's (Macy's today) and two people would run to help. Today I walk in the same store and two people noticing me are running away, pretending that they are busy.
The whole America is turning that way. No responsibility. Nothing. The only thing that matters is "myself". Me me me.
Scarry.

I do not look for it to get much better anytime soon....but....hope burns eternal!

So today, more cabinets were placed along with some doors. The grouting was completed, and we are so hoping to get the dishwasher and stove tomorrow. The Lowe's guy swears that we will. Hope. Burns. Eternal. :angel:

Attachments

• 2020-11-19.jpg
    2020-11-19.jpg
    36.6 KB · Views: 65
  • 2020-11-19 (2).jpg
    2020-11-19 (2).jpg
    34.6 KB · Views: 67
  • 2020-11-19 (1).jpg
    2020-11-19 (1).jpg
    43 KB · Views: 63
Last edited:
Thanks, PF. Does this mean you are not on your way to Nebraska? :ROFLMAO:

I still have to work tomorrow, but if you want, the weekend is coming up and I do remember how to drive. It's about 500 miles one way...6.5 hours, 8 if I drink too much coffee.

Kathleen, looking at your "almost up the ceiling" top boxes... Throw a white LED rope light up there. You'll get a nice warm glow on the ceiling that is especially lovely at night and will give the illusion of space and provides indirect light sort of like a window...

top light.jpg

Day 10

Kathleen, looking at your "almost up the ceiling" top boxes... Throw a white LED rope light up there. You'll get a nice warm glow on the ceiling that is especially lovely at night and will give the illusion of space and provides indirect light sort of like a window...

View attachment 44092

Really pretty! I love the soft glow. They put the molding on today, so unsure whether it will work.

Kathleen, I looked up the LG Black Stainless Steel.
GORGEOUS!!!
Great choice ... when you posted the cabinets and tile,
that was my immediate thought!
Now, hardware ... are we going with any or naked?

We have cabinet pulls picked out. Very simple design that I think will mesh with everything!

Big news: I have a dishwasher and stove!!!! :w00t2: The film is still on the dishwasher, and the stove looks huge in the little space, but I do love it. The microwave and refrigerator are said to be shipping to us on December 1. (It is either they will be here within 10 days after OR the guy with whom I spoke is resigning at that time. Who knows?) IF I get my selected microwave and fridge, I am happy to wait. A small cabinet still needs to be built. The countertop template will be made on Tuesday. (Had to push it back a day due to the late delivery of the stove/dishwasher.)

I did not realize that the doors on the cabinets will need adjusted now that they are almost all in. Also, there are two cabinet doors that will need replaced. (One is warped and the other has a small crack on the top.) We are still pondering wall color.

The molding on the cabinets is being completed. The tile will be sealed over the weekend. It does feel a bit more like a kitchen now! Here are the pictures from today!

Attachments

• 2020-11-20.jpg
    2020-11-20.jpg
    38 KB · Views: 78
  • 2020-11-20 (1).jpg
    2020-11-20 (1).jpg
    36.9 KB · Views: 72
  • 2020-11-20 (4).jpg
    2020-11-20 (4).jpg
    31.7 KB · Views: 67

Latest posts

Back