A larger than usual meatloaf - cooking time?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

parker57

Cook
I have to work extremely late tomorrow, meaning I need my husband to toss the meatloaf in the oven. Normally I cook one that is just over a pound, for an hour at 375. This time, I defrosted a two pound package of meat, as it was all that I had left. I have no idea how long to tell him to bake a 2 pound meatloaf. Since he really doesn't know how to "check" on it during the cooking process, what would you guys advise? If it matters, I will be using a glass corning ware dish. ( I've found things cook quicker in this but maybe it's my imagination.) Online searches are telling me one hour, but that's how long I cook a single pound ( or slightly over) meatloaf.

This is just another one of those times that I wish I had learned more from my mother - one of the best cooks I knew. She cooked for a family of 7 every day. I have many of her recipes, but every now and then I just wish I could ask her advice!

Last edited:
For more even, thorough cooking, I would divide it in half and bake two one-pound meatloaves. Also, if you have a cooking thermometer, have him check for a temperature of 160-165 to make sure it's fully cooked.

You can then wrap and freeze one of the meatloaves for another meal. Or you could send it to me. Your choice! [emoji38]

Haha!

A meatloaf is such a simple thing, but it's one of our favorite meals, so it would not go to waste.

I had wondered about maybe making two loafs. That sounds like a good idea. But can you freeze a cooked meatloaf with good results? Since I defrosted the meat once, I would assume it must be cooked before freezing again. Then again, I can also see using it for meatloaf sandwiches and such and not even worrying about freezing!

I used to figure an hour for a one pound meatloaf, but since I started using a Thermapen, instant read thermometer, I have found that they get to the 160 to 165°F in less time than that. Even if gets up to 185°, I haven't had a problem.

If it were me, I would do it as two meatloaves. I would have meatloaf again during the weak and have it on sandwiches. But, I would put a small piece in the freezer, so I would know if it freezes well, if it changes texture in weird ways.

Last edited:
That 2nd meatloaf can be used for open-face sandwiches, with gravy, or broken up into a marinara sauce, mac & cheese, combined with noodles and mushroom soup, or Italian Wedding Soup, or any number of things. You could even transform it into Sloppy Joes. Serve with diced potatoes as a meatloaf hash, or like you said, meatloaf sandwiches. Use it for homemade pot pies, or pasties.
Break it up, add the right veggies, top with smashed spuds, and bake for Shepard's pie. The list could go on. That 2nd loaf will certainly not go to waste.

Just make sure that the loaves are cooked to an internal temp of 160' F. Try topping one with BBQ sauce, steak sauce, or even a good catsup-horseradish sauce. Serve with sour kraut, or steamed cabbage.

Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

...But can you freeze a cooked meatloaf with good results? Since I defrosted the meat once, I would assume it must be cooked before freezing again. Then again, I can also see using it for meatloaf sandwiches and such and not even worrying about freezing!
I occasionally made individual ones in a mini bundt pan, use two for that night's supper, and wrap and freeze the other four for future meals. The texture was fine when they were defrosted. I've also frozen half a meatloaf and it, too, was fine.

Sandwiches are great! I really like a cold meatloaf sandwich on sturdy white bread with lots of ketchup - it's the only time I use ketchup. I've also had grilled meatloaf slices with Guinness mushroom gravy at a restaurant that was delicious. You could probably use some of the leftover that way.

Last edited:
Hope the meatloaf turned out good. I plan to use alum loaf pans that seem larger than glass pans. Do you suggest I should use 1 1/4 lbs meat?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom