A different type of pav bhaji

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pepperhead212

Executive Chef
I had a craving for something Indian today, and I wanted to use up the last near lb of those mushrooms. I made a batch of pav bhaji, using some of that pav bhaji masala I made recently. I cooked a large chopped onion in some ghee (would have been a vegan dish, if oil was used instead) in a 12" sauté pan, adding the garlic and ginger, a diced yellow bell pepper, plus the spices, and after a minute, the chopped mushrooms were added, and cooked several minutes, while I fixed the rest of the ingredients. I added 3/4 tsp turmeric, and a tb of Kashmiri chili powder, to mix with the liquid. I had soaked a small amount of boletus, and used the soaking water, plus some dried tomatoes (just to empty a jar! Usually, fresh or canned are used), blended smooth, and used this to simmer the sautéed mix with briefly, before adding the rice and barley, followed by the broccoli, which I had in the freezer. Usually cauliflower is in these dishes, but this is just as good. I added some chopped cilantro, as usual, in these dishes.

Before I cooked this, I cooked some brown basmati and barley together to use with it - always love barley with mushrooms! They cook together in the IP well - a little sticky together, from the barley, but it mixed in well.
Pav Bhaji masala and minced garlic and ginger, added to the onion, cooking in the ghee by pepperhead212, on Flickr

After cooking the chopped mushrooms about 5 minutes, in the ghee, the tomato/dried boletus mix simmered 8 minutes. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

The precooked brown rice and barley, mixed in, followed by the broccoli, and some cilantro. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

Finished Pav Bhaji, with mushrooms and broccoli. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

Back
Top Bottom