A Different Kind of Meatball

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chief Longwind Of The North

Certified/Certifiable
When I first moved back to the Soo, there was a Chinese buffet that had recently opened. DW and I tried it out and found that they had a wonderful meatball, made from chicken. Now, DW doesn't like most meatballs, beef, pork, veal, or any combination of them. She loved these chicken meatballs though. With leftover meatballs taken home in a dogie bag, I played the food around in my mouth to determine the flavors and proceed to recreate the chicken meatballs at home. They came out just like at the restaurant.

I carefully kept track of what I put in them, and how much of the various ingredients. So, I'm sharing the recipe with all of you. Serve these with a pineapple, or peach sweet and sour sauce, and some bean-thread, or glass noodles, or on a bed of rice. Enjoy.:yum:

Asian Chicken Meatballs
There's this great restaurant just down the road a bit from my home. They serve some fine food at this place. One of my wife's favorite dishes served at this establishment is chicken meatballs. They are good. I've had them.
Well, to make a long story short, I had to try to make something similar at home. The results of my efforts (and this is according to my wife, folks) are chicken meat balls of superior quality to the ones found at the restaurant. These are especially good with pineapple sweet & sour sauce.
Ingredients:
1 large chicken breast
2 large chicken thighs
3 stalks celery
1/2 tsp. salt
1 clove garlic
1 tsp. onion powder
1 medium egg, lightly beaten
Dash of Chinese 5-spice powder
2 tbs. low sodium Kikoman Soy Sauce

Skin and remove the chicken from the bones and either mince in food‑processor, or run through a meat grinder. Mince the garlic and add with the onion powder to the meat. Finely chop the celery and add it to the chicken with the remaining ingredients. Mix well.
The trick to these meatballs is egg. Lacking sufficient fat to hold them together, the protein rich egg white coats each morsel of meat, acting like the fat in a hamburger. It binds them.
Shape into 1 inch meatballs and gently sauté until lightly browned on all sides. Alternately, place the meaballs on a parchment paper lined cookie sheet and bake for 30 minuets at 350' F. Arrange artistically on dark plates and serve.
Makes approximately 24 meatballs.

Seeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom