A device for an amateur cook to cut up vegetables very small.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

blissful

Executive Chef
My wife uses something like this, especially with onions. She has issues with onions and her eyes.

I use It sometimes, like you said, If I have piles of stuff to do, or if I want extreme consistency.

Exactly, why cry over onions if you can peel them and then slap chop them into a container and the hotness won't wreck your eyes?

Sometimes peeling is a crying time but I find that rinsing them helps stop it. But if I'm crying due to the onion, I just rinse and then hand them over to the professional slap chopper.

I sometimes slap chop myself but I rarely take it out if there is a small amount of food to chop.

Chief Longwind Of The North

Certified/Certifiable
Onions never make me cry, as my chef's knife is razor sharp. I simply cut off the bud end, make a lit from top to bottom and remove the first layer. I then start the tip of my knife near the root end, and slice down, and to the cut end, repeating in the size slices to make the dice i''m looking for. Finally, i turn the onion 90 degrees and slice into a fine or coarse dice, as needed. Your knife has to be very sharp. A dull edge will crush the tiny onion cells, releasing the vapor droplets into the air. That's what irritates the eyes.

Seeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

larry_stewart

Master Chef
Onions never make me cry, as my chef's knife is razor sharp. I simply cut off the bud end, make a lit from top to bottom and remove the first layer. I then start the tip of my knife near the root end, and slice down, and to the cut end, repeating in the size slices to make the dice i''m looking for. Finally, i turn the onion 90 degrees and slice into a fine or coarse dice, as needed. Your knife has to be very sharp. A dull edge will crush the tiny onion cells, releasing the vapor droplets into the air. That's what irritates the eyes.

Seeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

I never have issues either, but my wife evacuates the kitchen when Im cutting them up.

taxlady

Chef Extraordinaire
Moderator Emeritus

Mine does too. But I'm not gonna break out the food processor as it then needs to be washed. Just adds more work in most every instance.
In fact I bought a very good food possessor and expected to use it a lot. I have had it 3 or more years and its only been used about 3 times.
My wife asks me why I buy these things just to take up valuable counter space. So I moved it to the pantry where the front door does not close because of it. If I were to move it downstairs, it would sit with all the other kitchen stuff I have bought over the years.
So I see it all the time, but rarely have the gumption to use it.

Its all about clean up. Its all about clean up. For me.

I don't use my food processor as often as I would like to, because of the clean up. I made sure I bought one that was dishwasher safe. But, they didn't say that it was only dishwasher safe on the top rack. It has 3 different sized bowls. The two larger ones are too tall to fit on the top rack of my dishwasher and so is the lid.

dragnlaw

Site Team
Staff member
I have 4 ways of fine chopping vegies -

A#1.) by hand with my chef's knife (and I have found that repeated rinsing of the blade reduces the crying up to I'd say 90%).

2.) mini-FP that attaches to my stick blender - it's great! for smallish amounts and easy to clean.

3.) Full size FP with 3 sized bowls, but like everyone else, don't use it as much as I thought I would. 2 reasons, clean-up and simply don't prep large amounts any more.

4.) A 40 year old hand chopper, which is like a salad spinner with blades. (not the slap chop thingy which came out 15 yrs later?) not as fine a chop as I can do by hand but great for soups, sauces, etc.

Top Bottom