A Covid Christmas

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Just me and the dog, here. Family Christmas is postponed. I pulled some short ribs out of the freezer to braise for Christmas dinner.

No big deal. My mom fell a while back and still has trouble getting around, and I had a bit of surgery on Monday, so I'm pretty sore. We wouldn't be a very fun bunch even if we did get together.

CD

Well Christmas is going to suck! My husband just had to turn our hot water heater off because a line is shooting water out. No hot water till no clue when a plumber will come.

Oh noes! That does suck. I guess there will be a bit of boiling water on the stove. I don't envy you. (((Hugs))) Don't a lot of plumbers do emergency repairs, for an extra fee?

My husband had a hot water tank that failed on Xmas Eve many years ago. He called a plumber who came the next day, for an extra fee. Several years later, I moved in and at some point I noticed that there was a line on the electric bill for "water heater rental". It turns out that he was renting the water heater and the water heater department of the Hydro Quebec, the local electric company, would have come and replaced his water heater for free. It's part of the service and part of the rental fee. We have had a water heater fail since then and they came to replace it very quickly.

Advantage # 1, We will Finally see the Grands open gifts from Santa, via Zoom, Covid =#0
Advantage #2 No Driving in freezing weather on icy roads , Covid =#0
Advantage #3 Expanded available grocery delivery, Covid = #0

Christmas dinner plans for 2 include beef stroganoff, roasted carrots, mixed greens salad with pomegranate seeds, popovers and chocolate ice cream with optional crushed candy canes. Leftovers and Re-do's on Boxing Day.

Happy Christmas Everyone !

Well Christmas is going to suck! My husband just had to turn our hot water heater off because a line is shooting water out. No hot water till no clue when a plumber will come.
Well wonderful news! Christmas is saved! I called a handy man (a friend said give it a shot) this morning, and he came over and replaced the part within a half hour after I called him. We got lucky that he had the part and could replace it. He charged a VERY reasonable price, so we gave him an extra $20.00.

Well wonderful news! Christmas is saved! I called a handy man (a friend said give it a shot) this morning, and he came over and replaced the part within a half hour after I called him. We got lucky that he had the part and could replace it. He charged a VERY reasonable price, so we gave him an extra $20.00.
I'm so happy to hear that! Have a wonderful Christmas, msmofet - and everyone!

Final details figured out..kids cancelled as the Province of Ontario will be on lock down day after tomorrow...we do have my partners son who lives alone and works from home, and my brother who has been up in his cabin by himself since March...He's taken to baking and has gotten a little pudgy...

I'm trying to unpack our kitchen. I need to find the colander as Christmas eve dinner has been planned for spaghetti with clam sauce, side salad, and ice cream for dessert.

Christmas will be chicken and dumplings with dressing and citrus salad. Definitely not traditional for us, but I'm looking forward to having it and spending time with my sweetie. Dessert will be eggnog.

2020 has brought a lot of different kinds of challenges. However, as I was walking about the supermarket earlier today, I realized that there have been some true blessings. For example, being home so much has made me realize how fortunate I am to have the abilities to keep in touch with family and loved ones. As this year comes to an end, I am honestly grateful for so many things - including those of you on this forum. :heart:

Everyone's meals, elaborate or other, sound wonderful. Wishing you all a warm and wonderful holiday filled with love and laughter.

Mine will be similar to Thanksging; just the two of us, but less food/dishes. The day before Thanksgiving, DH came home with a 23 pound frozen turkey from the family he works for.
They don't understand turkey which I find amusing because they are from Turkey. So the turkey went into the freezer and came out this past Saturday. I can't muscle around a 23 pound turkey, so Dh will be on duty on Christmas Day. I can't brine a bird that size so I will apply butter saturated cheesecloth and roast it. The go-withs will be mashed potato, green chile, cheddar cheese casserole, green beans, stuffing, gravy, Ocean Spray cranberry sauce, tortillas and chocolate pie.

Our town/state is experiencing an increase in positive cases, so I stay home as much as possible.

Rethinking some things....We have plenty of sweet things here so will not make the chocolate pie for dessert. Will turn the pie crust into a quiche in a few days. Have not easily found the green beans in the freezer so will make glazed carrots, which are plentiful in the refrigerator. I will put together the stuffing and potato casserole today and tomorrow will do the turkey and gravy. How I handle the gravy is to freeze all the drippings from a turkey meal and freeze it. So I am using the drippings from the Thanksgiving turkey for tomorrows meal to make the gravy while the turkey is resting.

...I'm planning a rack of lamb for Christmas dinner with asparagus and another side I have not yet chosen. I have a nice bottle of red wine to help with the lamb. I may make a pie for dessert.

Since I forgot to buy the asparagus, the veggie of the day will be baby spinach sautéed with shallots, mushrooms and garlic. Lyonnaise potatoes for the starch.
Apple pie and ice cream for dessert.

Funny you should mention this... someone sent us a very large and lovely ham for the holidays. There is exactly one meat eater at my house :ermm:

You might have to go over to the dark side... :LOL:

Or hire someone to eat the ham... yeah... that'll do it.

My kids aren't here this year, so I will get to eat all of the Brie de Meaux....

Attachments

• 133122187_437008701038335_3898745491673040231_n.jpg
    133122187_437008701038335_3898745491673040231_n.jpg
    76.7 KB · Views: 102

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom