9x13" cornbread?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pengyou

Senior Cook
Does anyone have a cornbread recipe that can be baked in a 9x13" pan? All of the recipes I have call for a loaf pan. I have tried a couple in the bigger pan but they cook strangely.

CORNBREAD

For a 12” Skillet, 2 Large Muffin Tins or 13”x9” Pan:

370 Gr All-purpose Flour (3 C)
216 Gr Corn Meal (1½ C)
190 Gr Sugar (1 C)
1 tsp Salt
52 Gr Buttermilk Powder
1½ Tb Baking Powder
3 Eggs
2¼ C Water
2 Tb Vegetable Oil
¾ C Butter, melted

Preheat the oven to 350° F or 325ºF for muffins.

Butter the interior of the baking utensil to be used. If using a cast iron skillet, place it in the hot oven to preheat.

Add the dry ingredients to a large mixing bowl and combine.

Separately, combine the liquid ingredients except the melted butter.

Add the combined liquids to the dry ingredients and mix just until combined.

Incorporate the butter after the liquids.

Promptly pour the batter into the baking utensil and bake for 40-45 minutes. The color is the key indicator. The top should be golden brown.

The larger recipe makes 12 large muffins. Bake for approximately 35 minutes.

Here is a basic recipe for cornbread - probably the one found on the side of a cornmeal container. They call for a 1:1 cornmeal to flour ratio, but I prefer 2:1, so I use 1 1/3 c cornmeal to 2/3 c flour. But this is the original recipe, which is for an 8x8 pan (a 9x9 pan can be used, for a thinner bread). I would always double it, and bake in a 9x13 pan.

1 c unbleached flour
1 c cornbread
4 tsp baking powder
3/4 tsp salt
1 tb sugar (or more; I'm not a fan of sweet cornbread)
1 c buttermilk (or milk, but I like the BM)
2 eggs, beaten
1/4 c melted butter

Preheat oven to 425°. Grease an 8x8 pan (9x13 to double the recipe).

Whisk the dry ingredients together in a mixing bowl. Make a well, and pour in the buttermilk and eggs. Whisk briefly, then add the melted butter and whisk it in. Pour batter into pan and level out.

Bake 22-25 min., or until bread tests done with a toothpick.

Mexican Cornbread (my way)

• ½ cup butter, melted
  • 1/3 cup white sugar
  • 4 eggs
  • 1 (15 ounce) can cream-style corn
  • 1 4 oz. can chopped green chile peppers, drained
  • 1/2 cup shredded Pepper Jack cheese
  • ½ cup shredded cheddar cheese

• 1 cup all-purpose flour
  • 1 cup yellow cornmeal
  • 4 teaspoons baking powder
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt

1. Preheat oven to 325degrees . Lightly grease a 9x13 inch baking dish.
  2. In a large bowl, beat together butter and sugar. Beat in eggs one at a time. Blend in the cream corn, chiles, Pepper Jack cheese along with the cheddar cheese
  3. In a separate bowl, whisk together flour, cornmeal, baking powder and salt. Add flour mixture to corn mixture; stir until smooth. Pour batter into prepared pan.
  4. Bake in preheated oven for 50 minutes, until a toothpick inserted into center of the pan comes out clean.

Kayelle, Your Mexican Cornbread reminds me of a delicious recipe I originally found in The Complete Book Of Breads, back in the 70s (a jalapeño cheese cornbread). I think that recipe was the only thing I ever bought creamed corn for!

This also reminded me of something that I used to do, before corn tortillas were available everywhere. I'd make cornbread with masa harina, to serve with Mexican food, or chili. Masa harina absorbs more liquid, so I'd use another quarter cup of liquid to each cup in a recipe. Flavor is great with Mexican or Tex-mex foods.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom