2023 Edition - What are you baking?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Why don't you try it and let us know taxy. Curious minds would love to hear!

But my first thought is, if it is a pocket pita, won't it balloon?

Why don't you try it and let us know taxy. Curious minds would love to hear!

But my first thought is, if it is a pocket pita, won't it balloon?
Well, the pita I have are quite thin. I did wonder if it might balloon, but I don't think so. I guess I could test that before adding anything on top.

I asked in case someone actually knew of any disadvantages to using a pita instead.

Well, the pita I have are quite thin. I did wonder if it might balloon, but I don't think so. I guess I could test that before adding anything on top.

I asked in case someone actually knew of any disadvantages to using a pita instead.
I think the texture would be different but I can't think of any disadvantages.

That sounds like a great idea, using a tortilla as the crust for a tart. I'm just wondering if there is any advantage to using a tortilla instead of a thin pita. I am far more likely to have pita on hand than flour tortillas.
🤷‍♀️ Try it!

You could fill the pocket with a schmear of butter and a sprinkle of sugar to make it a little richer.

I’ve seen Jacques Pepin use half an English muffin or a round of good bread as a base for a baked apple.

These little experiments don’t take much time or money and they are always edible.

Good luck!

Found it - Never have I ever... LOL- mine was the last post made.

I thought there was a way to earmark your 'favourite' threads? I believe you can earmark a particular post but a thread?

maybe I'll ask a Moderator. ohhh dear, is that me? too bad she doesn't know. o_O

Last week I took my oatmeal cranberry walnut muffin recipe, replaced the cranberries with chopped dried cherries and date pieces, and made the batter with egg replacer instead of a real egg. This morning I did the same thing, but used a real egg. I saw and tasted no difference whatsoever. Bob's Red Mill egg replacer is a good thing. $5.39 for a 12oz envelope @ Amazon, which is the equivalent of 34 eggs.

The dangerous air quality alerts this morning are making me feel like I’m snowed in.

I made a small batch of 6 applesauce muffins to help relieve this little bout of cabin fever.

I wonder if this may be a glimpse of our future. 🤔

Applesauce muffins

Preheat oven to 425f

Combine the following in one bowl.
1 cup whole wheat flour (AP flour is fine)
1/4 cup old fashioned rolled oats
1/2 t baking powder
1/4 t baking soda
1 t cinnamon
1/4 t nutmeg
1/4 t ginger
1/4 t cloves
1/4 t allspice

Combine the following in a second bowl.
1/4 cup sweetener
(I use sugar free maple flavored syrup but you could use cane sugar, brown sugar, etc…)
1/2 cup applesauce
( I use a sugar free applesauce snack cup)
1 egg•
1/4 cup oil
1/2 t vanilla extract

Combine ingredients and portion into a greased 6 muffin pan.

Bake for 5 minutes at 425f, reduce heat to 350f for an additional 15 minutes. Test with a toothpick or broom straw. Tip out onto a cooling rack. When completely cool store in an airtight container for up to three days.

• I was out of eggs this morning so I used one tablespoon of ground flax meal and three tablespoons of tap water. Combine the flax meal and water in the liquid bowl and allow it to sit for five minutes while you measure the dry ingredients.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom