2023 Edition - What are you baking?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
GG, that focaccia looks fantastic!
Although I've never understood serving something with things like rosemary branches on it. You have to pick them off to eat and I don't find that very user friendly, a bit messy.

Don't get me wrong - I would likely eat half of that while your back is turned GG!

GG, that focaccia looks fantastic!
Although I've never understood serving something with things like rosemary branches on it. You have to pick them off to eat and I don't find that very user friendly, a bit messy.

Don't get me wrong - I would likely eat half of that while your back is turned GG!
Thank you! The rosemary stems are just for the baking and the pictures ? I took them off before serving, but they perfume the bread nicely.

Some of my better looking whole wheat bread for sandwiches. I have used a lot of flour recently on no knead bread and pizza crust with fair results, so it was nice to have a success at something.

Attachments

• bread_IMG_5129.jpg
    bread_IMG_5129.jpg
    166.7 KB · Views: 4
Some of my better looking whole wheat bread for sandwiches. I have used a lot of flour recently on no knead bread and pizza crust with fair results, so it was nice to have a success at something.
Those look great!

I’m never happy with the rise on my whole wheat bread.

It always comes out like a heavy hippie health food from the 70s.

I used to work in a bakery and have literally made 10's of thousands of whole wheat bread! I'm a baker and must bake. Today's loaves are from a new recipe I found online. For two loaves, the recipe calls for 1/2 cup vital wheat gluten. This probably won't help you, but here is the recipe.

Yes, I have made plenty of door stops in my day.

I recently became aware of an annual challenge among folks who put up a lot of food. The challenge is to eat as much as possible during January and February from your larder. I canned a lot of applesauce this past fall and hadn't used hardly any of it. Today I made a chocolate applesauce cake.

Attachments

• applesaucecakeil_IMG_5131.jpg
    applesaucecakeil_IMG_5131.jpg
    168.4 KB · Views: 5
Good hint/challenge/etc. I often make things (for the freezer) then forget about them for ages. By the time I find them they are very unappetizing or just plain gahhh. I do have lists which, of course, I never look at read. Yes, they are on the fridge/freezer door.

I recently became aware of an annual challenge among folks who put up a lot of food. The challenge is to eat as much as possible during January and February from your larder. I canned a lot of applesauce this past fall and hadn't used hardly any of it. Today I made a chocolate applesauce cake.
YUM! Please post the recipe.

Good hint/challenge/etc. I often make things (for the freezer) then forget about them for ages. By the time I find them they are very unappetizing or just plain gahhh. I do have lists which, of course, I never look at read. Yes, they are on the fridge/freezer door.
It always amazes me how hard it is to eat fresh from the garden, and eat foods I have canned and frozen. I just pulled a dinners worth of broccoli from the freezer, which I would not have done, if it hadn't been for thinking first of what to eat from food I put up. Obviously I have had all kinds of reason to leave that one frozen gallon bag of broccoli undisturbed.

I recently became aware of an annual challenge among folks who put up a lot of food. The challenge is to eat as much as possible during January and February from your larder...
I did that inadvertently last month when we had to use up frozen foods as our refrigerator was dying a slow death.
I had just enough Bob's Red Mill 7-grain cereal for one loaf of multigrain bread. Himself said it would be good for toasted cheese sandwiches on Friday.
20230308_211243.jpg

I’m not sure, pita, roti, balloon bread. 🤔

Last night while I was cleaning up the kitchen I stirred up a soft dough.

1 1/4 cups whole wheat flour
1/4 t salt
1/2 t yeast
1/2 cup warm water

I kneaded it in the bowl until the bowl was clean, added a teaspoon of oil to coat the dough and covered the bowl with a dinner plate. I let it sit for 6 hours, punched it down and shaped the dough into 6 discs the thickness of pie crust. I let it rest covered for 30 minutes and ‘baked’ them on a hot dry cast iron skillet until puffed and cooked.

These did not puff dramatically but they did puff enough to form a pocket. IMO that could be due to using 100% whole wheat flour and or my inexperience.

Definitely worth a little more research and practice. 🐷🐷🐷

Last edited:
I’m not sure, pita, roti, balloon bread. 🤔

Last night while I was cleaning up the kitchen I stirred up a soft dough.

1 1/4 cups whole wheat flour
1/4 t salt
1/2 t yeast
1/2 cup warm water

I kneaded it in the bowl until the bowl was clean, added a teaspoon of oil to coat the dough and covered the bowl with a dinner plate. I let it sit for 6 hours, punched it down and shaped the dough into 6 discs the thickness of pie crust. I let it rest covered for 30 minutes and ‘baked’ them on a hot dry cast iron skillet until puffed and cooked.

These did not puff dramatically but they did puff enough to form a pocket. IMO that could be due to using 100% whole wheat flour and or my inexperience.

Definitely worth a little more research and practice. 🐷🐷🐷
SDDD- same dough, different day! 🤭

Tonight it will be the crust for an inexpensive fridge pizza topped with tomato sauce, onion, ripe olives, pickled banana pepper rings, grated parmesan, and shredded mozzarella. 🐷

I have parmesan cheese bread rising in the kitchen. We didn't need more bread, but I had the baking itch so we will have a small loaf at dinner tonight, and five more loaves for the freezer. Or perhaps four, if I take a loaf with Sunday dinner to our "Meals on Wheels" neighbor. Meals are not delivered on Sunday, so I make sure she has something special. She is pretty much of a shut-in, and won't come here, even with help and chauffeur service.

Two large loaves of pear/blueberry bread. The pears were in our discounted produce section of our grocery store.
@bethzaring I too use pear sauce and apple sauce that is canned from our trees, all year long in our baking.
Some years we will get close to 100 qts of pear/apple sauces and then there are years, sometimes 3 in a row without any apples or pears worth harvesting. I absolutely depend on having it on hand as much as I depend on tomatoes.

Back
Top Bottom