2022 Thanksgiving Plans (U.S.A. - 11/24/2022)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
My simple Thanksgiving for one will be a casserole of pork chops with stuffing and gravy, maple glazed carrots, and cabbage salad.

As long as the oven is on, I’ll make a small casserole of old fashioned rice pudding for dessert.
Have you posted your rice pudding recipe?

My simple Thanksgiving for one will be a casserole of pork chops with stuffing and gravy, maple glazed carrots, and cabbage salad.

As long as the oven is on, I’ll make a small casserole of old fashioned rice pudding for dessert.
I have not made this pork chop casserole in a long time. It's so good!

Have you posted your rice pudding recipe?
I use a simple recipe from the days of wood fired cook stoves.

2T rice
1T sugar
1t butter
1t vanilla
A generous pinch of nutmeg and a dash of salt.
1 pint milk

Bake uncovered in a 350f oven for 1 1/2 to 2 hours. Some recipes say stir every so often and some don’t. If raisins are added you can omit the sugar. This makes a nice breakfast on a cold winter morning.

Last edited:

2T rice
1T sugar
1t butter
1t vanilla
1 pint milk

Bake uncovered in a 350f oven for 1 1/2 to 2 hours. Some recipes say stir every so often and some don’t. If raisins are added you can omit the sugar. This makes a nice breakfast on a cold winter morning.
Thank , AB.

2T rice
1T sugar
1t butter
1t vanilla
1 pint milk

While this looks good for any time, the bold part really caught my attention. Rice would be a nice alternative to the daily portions of steel cut oats I'll stack in the fridge for a few days breakfast. Could you please give this simple recipe a thread of its own in a breakfast forum so it's easy to find, @Aunt Bea? And I thank you.

Tentative Menu Plans (as of 11/8/2022) still may change.

(Lots of variety. Small batches of each side dish/appy and a small turkey breast or a small whole turkey - haven't decided which)

Appetizers/Lunch

Cream Cheese, Green Olive, and Nut Poppers
Marinated Mushrooms
Stuffed Mushrooms

Entrée

Roasted Turkey
Green Bean Casserole
Glazed Carrots
Creamed Pearl Onions
Sweet Potato & Acorn Squash
Mashed Turnip Root and Yukon potatoes
Steamed Brussels Sprouts
Stuffing/Dressing
Sautéed mushrooms
Turkey Gravy (Homemade)
Cranberry/Orange Relish (Homemade)

Dessert

Apple pie
Pumpkin pie
Blackberry Cobbler
Whipped Cream

Beverages
Iced Tea/Soda
Sparkling Cranberry Apple Cider
Nice menu for thanksgiving. Will must try.

thanksgiving-002.jpg

Dressing, sweet potatoes, mashed potatoes, served w/cranberries and mushroom gravy.

Well crap, my sister tested positive for Covid this morning. Right after our thrice weekly morning walk. Hoping I didn't get it! And that I feel well enough to pull off a Thanksgiving meal so I can take plates of food to her and her husband. Nothing unusual on the menu; turkey, gravy, mashed potato, green chile, and cheddar cheese casserole, pumpkin pie, seasoned home grown green beans, canned cranberry sauce if BIL doesn't feel up to making it, local made pumpkin roll for DH and me.

Well crap, my sister tested positive for Covid this morning. Right after our thrice weekly morning walk. Hoping I didn't get it! And that I feel well enough to pull off a Thanksgiving meal so I can take plates of food to her and her husband. Nothing unusual on the menu; turkey, gravy, mashed potato, green chile, and cheddar cheese casserole, pumpkin pie, seasoned home grown green beans, canned cranberry sauce if BIL doesn't feel up to making it, local made pumpkin roll for DH and me.
So sorry to read about your sister and BIL!

The chili cheese casserole on your menu caught my eye. I haven’t made it in years but I think it would be great for my lazy little Christmas brunch.

Uh, oh! Sounds like you sister can't be feeling too awful, if she made the morning walk!? Here's hoping it is a false positive or something that goes away as quick as it came! If you have Vitamin D3, can't hurt to have some!

Although I got all of my shots and boosters, I caught COVID. I felt like someone had flattened me with a large truck. Every fiber in my body hurt for two weeks. Then another few weeks before I regained my energy. Best wishes to all who caught it and hope others avoid it.

Thanksgiving is the holiday where I remember family through food and use family recipes. We are having friends join us. They intend to bring macaroni and cheese.

For us, we will serve:
Turkey
Fresh cranberry sauce
Dumplings
Dressing
Mashed potatoes
Gravy
Creamed peas
Stuffed celery
Thanksgiving salad, which is a creamed cheese and gelatin based dish with pineapple pieces and cooked slivered carrots
Olives, pickles, and such

Not certain about dessert, but there has been a request for a lemon tart rather than pie.

It's the day where I make new memories and remember all of those who are no longer with us.

bethzaring, I join all the others, hope you don't and wish your sis a light load.
Kathleen, how about both pie and tart... just sayin' :innocent:

Thanks everyone. Her doctor didn't prescribe any treatment, says she'll be fine in about 5 days. Her next door neighbor, my bridge partner, tested positive 2 days ago and he is doing okay too. Eight people in our 25 home HOA tested positive in the past week. I'll be testing daily for a while! Meanwhile, I'm still canning apple products. I think I will make the gluten free crust pumpkin pie in a few days and take to my sister and BIL to begin their Thanksgiving holiday in isolation a few days early. My technique of steaming the apples has produced over 2 gallons of canned apple juice, that I plan to put some in the brine for the turkey.
I chuckled at Aunt Bea's reference to wood cook stoves. I had 2 back in the day but my favorite was the combination wood/gas stove. If the wood stove was not hot enough for biscuits you could just turn on the gas to bump up the temperature. Boy I'm glad those days are over!

2T rice
1T sugar
1t butter
1t vanilla
1 pint milk

Oh, no!!! I planned to make this today...but...2T rice? Is that cups instead? And, is it COOKED or UNcooked rice? I've checked some recipes online and some are cooked and some are not cooked rice. Sigh.

Back
Top Bottom