2022 Thanksgiving Plans (U.S.A. - 11/24/2022)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

msmofet

Chef Extraordinaire
Tentative Menu Plans (as of 11/8/2022) still may change.

(Lots of variety. Small batches of each side dish/appy and a small turkey breast or a small whole turkey - haven't decided which)

Appetizers/Lunch

Cream Cheese, Green Olive, and Nut Poppers
Marinated Mushrooms
Stuffed Mushrooms

Entrée

Roasted Turkey
Green Bean Casserole
Glazed Carrots
Creamed Pearl Onions
Sweet Potato & Acorn Squash
Mashed Turnip Root and Yukon potatoes
Steamed Brussels Sprouts
Stuffing/Dressing
Sautéed mushrooms
Turkey Gravy (Homemade)
Cranberry/Orange Relish (Homemade)

Dessert

Apple pie
Pumpkin pie
Blackberry Cobbler
Whipped Cream

Beverages
Iced Tea/Soda
Sparkling Cranberry Apple Cider

Last edited:
Having to rethink the menu. I had thought it was just the two of us, but my sister and BIL are now coming. He is gluten free and low dairy. Will be discussing menu plans with sis tomorrow.

I Know Ill be asked to bring something I eat. Last year I brought a thanksgiving Sweet potato lasagna that was aa lot better than it sounds. Ill probably do that again. Also just came across a recipe for a Truffle Mac & 'Cheese', which I may make as well and a cranberry relish. Still a few weeks for me to change my mind or come up with something else.

This is a vegan recipe, but Im sure dairy milk and cheese would be fine to sub in.

Here is the link to the basic recipe

The Mushroom Gravy needed for the lasagna is listed in this recipe

Here are some pics from last year when I made it.
If I remember correctly, it was the mushroom gravy, and the onion powder in the sweet potato mixture that really tied everything together in this recipe. I was skeptical at first, but had a lot of sweet potatoes to use up. I made a small version a few days before, as I never bring anything I haven't tried myself. It came out much better than I expected, and was the dish that was eaten most on the whole table. Hopefully it comes out as good as it did last year.

Attachments

• Lasag 1 .png
    Lasag 1 .png
    1.6 MB · Views: 2
  • Lasag 2.png
    Lasag 2.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 2
  • Lasag 3 .png
    Lasag 3 .png
    1.5 MB · Views: 2
  • Lasag 4.png
    Lasag 4.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 2
  • Lasag 5.png
    Lasag 5.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 3
  • Lasag 6.png
    Lasag 6.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 3
  • Laasag 7.png
    Laasag 7.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 3
  • Lasag 8.png
    Lasag 8.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 2
  • Lassag 9.png
    Lassag 9.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 2
  • Lasag 10.png
    Lasag 10.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 2
Given repeated admonitions to not change the menu for Thanksgiving . . .

Roast Turkey
Stuffing
Gravy
Pilaf
Butternut Squash
Broccoli
Cranberry sauce
Apple Pie
Chocolate Cake (Grandson's birthday cake)
Ice Cream
Pumpkin Roll

I'm thinking I'll try to roast the turkey spatchedcocked this year. It results in a juicier turkey that cooks faster and makes more useable space in the oven.

Never thought of spatchcocking a turkey. How big a turkey will you be getting Andy? Will it, once opened, fit as one piece on the pan?

Since I got married 5 years ago, I just bring homemade cranberry sauce (which I hate) to my SIL’s family Thanksgiving. She’s an awesome cook, so it’s ok. I’m told my sauce is the bomb.

I make turkey, gravy, mashed taters, stovetop stuffing and green beans at Xmas. It’s just the two of us so that’s enough.

Never thought of spatchcocking a turkey. How big a turkey will you be getting Andy? Will it, once opened, fit as one piece on the pan?
In the 15 round range depending on availability. i'll be using a half-sheet pan with a rack. Pictures I've seen show parts of the turkey overhanging the edge of the pan. I have a larger pan if needed.

I deconstructed my parts turkey and froze two boneless breasts and two boneless thighs for future meals. Then I roasted what's left for stock making tomorrow. That will go for gravy, stuffing and pilaf.

I just need directions to somebody's house and I'm set! Who wants company?

animated-turkey-image-0045.gif

Gonna do Thanksgiving with some friends this year....so glad to be back to some brand of normal...

I'm cooking....I don't mind...because: Friends don't let friends eat takeout for Thanksgiving.

But apparently , relatives let other relatives bring their own meals because they wont go out of their way to make something that everyone could eat lol.
Dysfunctional families are the norm...
I heard a rumor once about a truly functional family that lived in Kansas....but when I investigated, it turned out to be a hoax bigger than Bigfoot.

Just saying...

Perfect timing. MY sister in law once broke her leg a few days before. A few years ago, I dont remember which holiday I was, but they had all there food prepared for like 20 people, then they all got covid and no one was able to attend. Not sure what they did with all the food.

I hope all of you that celebrate Thanksgiving have a wonderful time, despite family's idiosyncrasies (thank you spell check!), distances, foods, friends, the whole kit'n'kaboodle! I hope you all have good weather during the holiday as well!

A month ago, here in Canada, we've already celebrated. For me it was wonderful, the son, etal went to the cottage with brother, etal and Dad. I was thinking of going to my brother's and then said 'nope, gonna stay home, fix myself some goodies that no one else likes and enjoy the peace and quiet'. Which is exactly what I did! Wheee!

My simple Thanksgiving for one will be a casserole of pork chops with stuffing and gravy, maple glazed carrots, and cabbage salad.

As long as the oven is on, I’ll make a small casserole of old fashioned rice pudding for dessert.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom