2022 Christmas Eve & Christmas Day Menus

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
argh... so sorry, hopefully it is just a tiny spot frozen and will clear soon.
Yuh gotta at least hope!
inside or outside?

Outside now feels like -8F. And I left messages. Hopefully someone will have pity and call back. Can’t flush.

I've finally (mostly) finalized my menus:

Christmas Eve Dinner
  • Baked rockfish topped with lemony panko
  • Potatoes - maybe just baked
  • Roasted Brussels sprouts for DH and roasted carrots for me
  • For dessert, apple pie (a gift)
Christmas Breakfast
  • Dutch baby with fried apples
  • Breakfast sausage
  • Grapes
Christmas Dinner - we're taking dinner to my mom's about two hours away.
  • Turkish baked kofta (seasoned ground beef)
  • Rice and orzo pilaf
  • Green beans, tomatoes, onions and garlic cooked together, served topped with feta
  • Grilled flatbread, which I will cook on my cast iron griddle on the stovetop as it's 16F outside
  • Chocolate Swiss roll for dessert

Cheeseball and associated dipping/spreading eats

Roasted sweet potato and beet salad with feta

Avgolemono soup

Sous Vide Eye of Round with au jus, garlic mashed potatoes, broccoli

Various pies for desert

We're Sicilian but never did fishes on Christmas eve. For as far back as I can remember, we celebrated at my grandmother's house. Fitsdt we would exchange gifts, then all the women would get together in the kitchen and start making pizzas with every topping imaginable, including anchovies for those taking communion at midnight mass. They also made pies for Christmas dinner; apple, cherry, peach, even mince.

Christmas dinner was literally everything from soup (minestrone) to nuts (in the shells, toasted in the oven). Antipasti was assorted pickled vegetables, cheeses, and salumi. Primi was minestrone. Segundo was turkey with contori of stuffing, mashed potatoes, and assorted vegetables. Then comes insalata, which would be a simple lettuce salad dressed with oil and vinegar. All the pies that were made Christmas Eve were the dolci, or dessert. Finally, the roasted nuts and nutcrackers came out for those who wished to inbibe.

I still do the pizza on Christmas eve, but because of the smaller family group, no 25 lb turkey. I do a prime rib roast, with mashed potatoes, whipped sweet potatoes (no friggin' marshmallows, brown sugar or maple syrup. They call them SWEET potatoes for a reason!) and my world famous Sufferin' Succotash, with corn, limas, tomato, balsamic vinegar and crumbled bacon.

Msmofet, it's terribly upsetting to have your holiday plans put on hold, but please remember it is the celebration that is important, not the date.
Hoping the weather gets out of your way, but if it doesn't, you can and will cope!

It feels like -12F outside. We have no water. I think the pipes are frozen. I may not be able to cook today or tomorrow. :( :cry:
Been there, done that with the water line years ago. The waterline froze at my folks house one bitter cold holiday - I think it was New Year's. Try this, it worked for Himself:

Grab a hair dryer. Go down to the basement and open up the cold water faucet if you have one in the basement. (If there is no faucet in the basement, open a first floor one.) Trace down your main water pipe to where it enters the house. Start blowing hot air in the space where the pipe enters the house. Cross fingers on the hand not holding the dryer and/or send up prayers that this works.

Good luck. Please let us know when you have water again whether sooner or later.

We will be having store bought tourtière, roasted sunroots, and rødkål for supper. Tourtière is traditional for Xmas Eve, here in La Belle Provence (Québec).

I came down with a nasty cold, or perhaps the flu going around that is not covered by this year's flu shot. I took a covid test, and that was negative.

Anyway, I couldn't travel, so our family has moved Christmas weekend to New Year's weekend. Same meal, just one week later.

Sometimes, you just have to roll with the punches.

CD

I came down with a nasty cold, or perhaps the flu going around that is not covered by this year's flu shot. I took a covid test, and that was negative.

Anyway, I couldn't travel, so our family has moved Christmas weekend to New Year's weekend. Same meal, just one week later.

Sometimes, you just have to roll with the punches.

CD
Sorry to read that you are ill. God bedring (good bettering in Danish).

Back
Top Bottom