2022-03-17 (Saint Patrick's Day) supper

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

taxlady

Chef Extraordinaire
Moderator Emeritus
Tonight's supper was several experiments. I tried new recipes. One was from Blue Dragon and uses Blue Dragon's Thai green chili paste. I used pork instead of chicken and used carrots, green beans, scallions, and pea shoots instead of the julienned red bell pepper (I didn't have any). I also used less meat than they said. (It was still plenty. Two chicken breasts for two people seemed a bit much.) I tried a new to me recipe for Szechuan cucumber salad. It was less interesting / tasty than the Chinese cucumber salad that I have been using. And, instead of serving pork dish over steamed, white rice (I don't buy white rice.), I used fine bulgur. It has been decades since I have used bulgur. Yeah, I'll be tweaking the pork (chicken) dish, because I think it would work better if the meat was cooked before adding it to the sauce and there was far too much sauce. The bulgur will definitely get used again. It was blander than I remembered, but just about right when you don't want as assertive a flavour as brown rice. Also, from taking the bowl out of the cupboard to having bulgur ready to eat took about 15 minutes. That's darned good for a whole grain. I would rate tonight's supper at 8 out of 10 stars.

BTW, today is also Saint Gertrude of Nivelles' Day, supposedly the patron saint of cats. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gertrude_of_Nivelles

Pork in a Thai inspired sauce over bulgur and a Sichuan cucumber salad 2.gifPork in a Thai inspired sauce over bulgur and a Sichuan cucumber salad.gif

A corned beef brisket has been in the slow cooker all day. it should be very tender. there will also be boiled cabbage, col slaw (my version), and boiled potatoes. I'll have to avoid the spuds.

Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

For tonight's dinner I seasoned and grilled some country-style pork ribs. Along side we had zesty fries and zucchini.

IMG_5128.jpg

Since I'm called Caitlin Maire O'Neill from County Cork, Ireland, we HAD to have corned beef and cabbage. I strayed from my usual go-to recipe and tried something new. Wow, a keeper. I kept to the original recipe but added a can of diced tomatoes, with juice, to the mix.

Turned out to be 'bout the best I've ever made. Don't think it really needs any tweaking.

Beautiful thing is...there is plenty for tomorrow. Yeah!

Here's a link to the recipe if anyone is interested: https://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/easy-corned-beef-and-cabbage/

One thing I can usually count on is that anything I try from either "Taste of Home" or "Southern Living" will be a winner.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.:angel:

Himself is still trying to shake his head cold, so another night of rummaging. I cleaned up the last of a container of cottage cheese and some canned peaches when I got home from grocery shopping, made a salad later, and ended the night with a little of the beans and ham and a wedge of cornbread. Himself finished the beans and ham over the course of the evening - nearly a quart! He might be sniffing and sneezing, but there appears to be no problem with his appetite!

...One thing I can usually count on is that anything I try from either "Taste of Home" or "Southern Living" will be a winner.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.:angel:

While I can't speak to Taste of Home, I completely agree with you about Southern Living recipes, Katie. When I was able to get free magazine subscriptions, I made sure I had Southern Living coming to my northern house! I've loved that magazine since the first time I saw it on my MIL's coffee table when I was at their Florida home in 1974.

Back
Top Bottom